Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 06-16-2007, 08:42 AM

Default New Norwalk Raceway!

Went to Norwalk Raceway Park yesterday. WOW! The entire pits from end of track to staging lanes is beautiful level smooth blacktop. Soon to be grassy islands are about. New stands at finish line on the pit side. New loges above the west grandstands. Elevator for east grandstands. What an improvement for the pits. No more dust!. The NHRA big boys had a lot to do with the pit improvements, I was told. The racing in August for the AMES tri power Nats should be the best yet.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Blacktop = HOT

I have not had a chance to see it for myself yet. So much for having a campfire.

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...out/index.html
86 Grand Prix
535 High Port 8.93 @ 153
65 GTO
433 High Port 12.04 @ 113
Old 06-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I do not think that track had a dust problem. I agree with RA462 hot, hot,hot.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When you're at the top level of NHRA you travel in a air conditioned motor home and your rig has an awning for shade.

I think everyone expected it. I liked the grass and gravel better. I've been in the pits in Memphis in August. It ain't pretty.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Boost Engineer

The other deal is that you will have a lot more "weights" around the awnings as they will be very unhappy if you drive a stake into their new asphalt.

They really want to eliminate any sportsmen type racers from that side of the track. Most likely no tents allowed on that side either due to the same "staking" restrictions. It will be hot! One Big frying pan in the middle of the day.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught
The other deal is that you will have a lot more "weights" around the awnings as they will be very unhappy if you drive a stake into their new asphalt.

They really want to eliminate any sportsmen type racers from that side of the track. Most likely no tents allowed on that side either due to the same "staking" restrictions. It will be hot! One Big frying pan in the middle of the day.

Tom V.
Oh well, I guess it's time to sell canopys and buy a awning for trailer... ..a big nice track doesn't mean comfortable for grass roots racers...I to like a "little grass"
Just have to wait and see....

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 06-18-2007, 08:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

I have seen more than a few people zapped with rocks during the burnouts. In fact I was standing next to Rodney Butler and a rock hit the wood next to his head. They had some BIG gravel at Norwalk.

But blacktop will be hot!

Old 06-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This makes the fact I always camp on the opposite side of the track look a little more appealing :-).

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 06-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter
This makes the fact I always camp on the opposite side of the track look a little more appealing :-).
You might have to save room for me! We always tent camp on the pit side. Doesn't look good for this year...now what?
Any pics out there to see what grass is actually left?

Old 06-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Bud Lyons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B
You might have to save room for me! We always tent camp on the pit side. Doesn't look good for this year...now what?
Any pics out there to see what grass is actually left?
Hooter, Be very afraid when Rob says he wants to pitch a tent with you.

Only two defining forces have ever offered their life for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
One for your soul; the other for your freedom
Old 06-19-2007, 01:22 PM

There is no grass on the pits side. There are islands with trees in the center every 200-300 hundred feet(I didn't measure just a guess). We were there last Friday and they were still planting trees, putting up fencing and mulching. It was a hot day and pretty warm in the pits area. There are wooden picnic benches every so often along the fence (street side).

Old 06-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My family (wife & 3 kids) really enjoy going to Norwalk, mostly because we set up tents & camp in the pits way down near the time shack, in the "Grass".

This year we will have to set up camp on the "camping" side ,I was wondering if they allow pit vehicles (golf carts,ATV) to travel back and forth between camp side & pit side ??? sorry if this is a stupid question.

Is there a "NO Motorized Vehicles beyond certain point " rule ??

Last edited by cutrone; 06-19-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Was thinking of staying over there this year.
I'll call ya some time this week.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 06-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Lyons
Hooter, Be very afraid when Rob says he wants to pitch a tent with you.
Yeah, I know. I thought he was going to invade my tent last year late at night while I was getting a little "action" with my girlfriend at the time. Famous Phil fended him off for me I think(don't want to know how).

Kinda funny, Larry Davis was giving me shi!t a few years ago about this same subject on a similar type post. Got me thinking about him again.

67 Bonneville ragtop

Old 06-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a couple nights ago while sitting out back having a cold one and watching the fireflies coming out, starting thinking bout Larry.
Still miss him alot

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 06-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I thought he was going to invade my tent last year late at night while I was getting a little "action" with my girlfriend at the time. Famous Phil fended him off for me I think(don't want to know how).

Kinda funny, Larry Davis was giving me shi!t a few years ago about this same subject on a similar type post. Got me thinking about him again.
Famous Phil was standing outside the tent with a numbered ticket (like you get at the meat counter) hoping he was going to get his crack at it. For some reason, he was under the idea that Mr Lyons was giving prostate exams with his "special" tool.
We all came along and saved him before he could be violated (and gave him a beer).

Old 06-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's been a year since Larry passed (June 15th). June 21st marks the anniversary of his funeral...same day as my birthday.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The best "Larry story" for me though, was Norwalk 2003, when he and Ray Cox were running around behind my car betweens rounds. I was winning rounds for a change and they shifted to "round robin" racing, which left little time for refueling and adjustments. They were scurrying around, looking like two monkeys trying to f@$k a football, in an effort to figure how to put fuel in my car. You wouldn't think the OEM filler location on a 79 T/A would be that hard to find, especially when both of these guys owned T/A's themselves.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If any of you guys do decide to rough it over on the camp side, we had to get reservations last year for a spot. You might want to check into that as I'm guessing they may fill up a lot sooner this year.

67 Bonneville ragtop

Old 06-19-2007, 05:39 PM

Hooter this year if you bring your girl friend I'll bring my camera. And to think last year I slept in my van by myself. Are you going to bring you piece of tin this year?

geo