Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-16-2007, 08:30 AM

Default 1 Bad day = cluster @#$%

Yesterday I planned on going to the dyno then the track. I had made my dyno appointment for 10am Friday morning. I called on Monday and ask to change the time. Sure no problem. Get to dyno place big problem. Never got to dyno the car. I did get my money back. Turns out good in the end. I didn't waste my money. Get to track. Driving around the power steering goes out! Then comes back. WTF. Make first run 14.05!! WTF again!! Rejet center carb next run 13.97 WTF??? No power feels real lazy. Get to pits have a squealing noise bad. Nut on alternater is almost off & the pulley is trying to slide off. WTF?? Start looking at the carbs. Find out I've only got 1/2 throttle movement at most. WTF?? I'm running on 1/2 a 2bbl.?? Start looking at the metal rod assembly for gas peddle. The rod that is spot welded to the peddle rod looks strange, not enough movement. Try to bend to get more travel. Press down with foot and look thru hood and still only about half throttle. Next thing I know the rod breaks off!! WTF?? I now have no accelerator!! WTF?? Can't even drive the car now. It takes about an hour and a half to find someone to weld it back together. Carbs look like they open now. But really can't tell for sure. Wait an hour to make next run. 13.90. Way to slow still. Find out this morning carb are just going past 1/2 way now. WTF?? All in all yesterday was one big bust. No dyno and no track times. Ironic thing is I ran the car thru the gears Tuesday night and it just ripped. What happened?? I think those little gremlins got in my garage between Tues & Fri and messed with my car. I'm locking the doors from now on!!!

Old 06-16-2007, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Some days are good, and then there are the rest. There have been a couple of times I've just turned out the lights in the shop and walked away for a while because things were going totally wrong and I couldn't get into the groove to fix them.

In fact, just last week I cost myself a few bucks and a bit of downtime because I was stupid. I picked up a project from the previous week and forgot an important step, wound up over torqueing a part that now is going to be replaced. Argh!!!

I feel your pain.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

8 "WTF's" in 1 day is way too many for any of us. Keep at it. If it were easy everyone would be doing it.

400 + .020, decked to .005
SD Performance 240+CFM 670 heads
RARE HO/RA manifolds
RARE 2.5" Exhaust (18" Magnaflows)
SD "Stump Puller" HR cam (230/236, 112LSA, 107.5 ICL)
PRW stainless 1.52 roller rockers
Forged TRW slugs
SCAT H-Beam forged rods
Old 06-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bronze
The good thing is there's always tomorrow and next week. No one got hurt, no fire, no wreck, no rods going out the side of the block, no rear end or trans failure. All in all just a few minor WTF's. I think your doin OK and next time at the track will be better.

Tim C