Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 06-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Aluminium rods for the street?

Whats the word on this......Can it be done. Is it suggested? If so, what brand is everyone using and where are they getting them? How much?

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 06-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Senior Chief

whoa, you cant run those on the street....hahaha

Old 06-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have them in my 390CI RA V engine and just put a set in my new 366 engine.BME is what im running.Tom

Old 06-12-2007, 03:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

I know several people that run aluminum rods on the street, 2 of them use BME. Not sure how long they last or anything like that though.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-12-2007, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the idea; for keeping the Slug cooler by pulling heat from the piston pin.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran BME's for a limited time on the street before making the car "race only". Charlie Baesch ran a set of those funky old "Super Rods" for 7 years in his GTO on the street, beating the hell out of them, and they never failed (and in my opnion, they were no where near as good of a rod as a BME is today). Just don't put any load on the engine until the oil temperature is up near operating temperature.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

sweet, but what about the clearance to the block, is there a bunch of grinding needed?

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 06-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Brian,

What is Charlie up to these days? I would see him at some of the nostaligia meets. Does he still have the black 4 speed GTO?

Old 06-12-2007, 09:12 AM

My question is:

What are the advantages of running an aluminum rod on the street?

Let's talk about weight, strength, longevity, price...

Old 06-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good topic. Just picked up my 4.5 forged crank from BOP and thinking of running aluminum rods in my 535 for the street.

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 06-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65nss4spdGTO
Hey Brian,

What is Charlie up to these days? I would see him at some of the nostaligia meets. Does he still have the black 4 speed GTO?
That he does. I don't see much of him anymore, even though he lives less than 2 miles from me (well he used to...don't know if he's still at his Dad's place where he keeps his cars). I last spoke with him about a year ago, at a race. He still runs the '64 GTO. He was doing the Pro Stick class with it, but I think here lately he's been running around with the Nostalgia Pro Stock Ford boys up and down the east coast.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Charlie Baesch ran a set of those funky old "Super Rods" for 7 years in his GTO on the street, beating the hell out of them, and they never failed (and in my opnion, they were no where near as good of a rod as a BME is today).
Bob Maxey used to swear by the Superods. I ran a set for over six years in my '64. Good stuff. Don't know if they are still in existance though.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One of the advantages is when you take them out of your race car you can build a good street motor with them. I have a set of BME's I'm planning on doing that with now. I also have a shortblock I bought a while back thats got SuperRods in it. I wasn't sure just what to do with them but I may put them in a street motor as well. I don't remember much about the SuperRods.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

lets say i whant to put a pump gas 4.25 stroke 500+ cubic inch engine with750/800 hp 670 lbs feet of torque in mij 69 gto to be used as a auto cross/cirquit racer that is going to runn the cannonball race europe as wel and is going to be used as a showoff weekend evening cruiser/warrior.. howlong with these BMR rods last!!!..........

Old 06-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

how much weight savings are there? what does a aluminum rod weigh?

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 06-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ballpark weight savings is going to be about 1/3rd I think (meaning the alloomey rods are about 2/3 the weight of steel). I think. Lighter mass is always a good thing, especially for a long stroke crank (4.25") in a factory block. Not sure I would use them on a road race car.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been thinking about this very subject lately. My current combination going together is a 505ci IA2, AP 4.25" forged crank, 6.8" Crower rods, and Ross pistons. Lately I've been thinking about switching to an aluminum rod since I plan on spinning it up near 6,800 - 7,100 when racing...Plus adding a little nitrous from time to time.

If I do switch, now would be the time to do it since I've changed to a forged crank and need to re-balance everything anyway.

Anyone want to try and convince me either way?

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 06-12-2007, 11:50 PM

Default rods

I ran alum rods in all my supercharged street cars back in the 70's in Buena Park Calif. including mt's spun some by not letting enough engine heat build up. Never bkoke any and I ran 22% over on my pontiac engines. Street raced some one every day . Belonged to orig Street Freaks for awhile. Had a 32 3 window coupe supercharged then. Did a fantastic burn out in orange county parking lot while the race was going on. People were hanging over the bleachers to see who was making all the smoke and noise. Some calif. racers may remember. Can run alum rods on street but they must get at least 1160-180 before nailing it. Todays rods may not need as much heat. Hope this helps you make up your mind. hotchief

Old 06-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker
Ballpark weight savings is going to be about 1/3rd I think (meaning the alloomey rods are about 2/3 the weight of steel). I think. Lighter mass is always a good thing, especially for a long stroke crank (4.25") in a factory block. Not sure I would use them on a road race car.
Brian the rezen i ask is this http://www.bigredcamaro.com/newsite/mainpage.html chek out the video links....i belive the run BMR rods....haveing said that in a hotrod mag they say carrilo rods??

Last edited by roadrage david; 06-13-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:04 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikW
... Superods... Don't know if they are still in existance though.
Who is "they"? I've only heard of them, never knew who made them. I also have never seen one- anybody got a picture?