Old 05-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Suspended

Default Thoughts on ebay brake kits?

Any input on the disc conversion kits?
2" drop spindles?
Maybe just piece something together from the boneyard?

Old 05-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought a front power disc brake kit from a place here in az. It looks fine, I haven't installed it yet. I'll let you know how it goes. I personally wouldn't go with 2" droped spindles. Looks to me like the oil pan would be sitting too low for comfort.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Suspended

I was looking underneath and the headers are already beat up, I imagine 2" would scrape and good.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:17 PM

Brakes are really a brake system. The up side of the eBay is that you are buying a complete and proven set of components that work together. I would still prefer to see the eBay components, hold the parts in my hands before I put down the money. If you go bone yard, stick to the system idea, don't mix and match, try to find a donor car that has it all (a tall order!).

I salvaged a spindle/backing plate from a 67 GP for my 67 disc brake gto, knowing it is essentially the same set-up. Ever drop a spindle after jacking up the front end with a dirty nasty jack and setting it down on a junk yard tire?? Tons of fun! Bring a flame thrower, will make life earier

Old 05-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got a conversion kit from an ebay vendor, installed myself, one year later they are still working perfectly. I do not remember which vendor I got it from but it was around $500 without the booster.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Chack these people out. I bought them myself

Go look at this web site. www.396.com

They have had a write up in one of the Pontiac magazines about brake kits. I researched places myself, and these guys had the best kit, with pre bent lines, even a cad plated booster and master. Also, the the price was less than anyone. It installed on my 66 with drop springs front and rear just fine. All new parts, and aosl they have an option for 12" brakes far less than anyone else as well. Tech support is great as well. I'l buy my second set for my restoration number matching car here soon from these guys. Just can't say enough. Also a friend bought from them and same wonderful price and parts. Worth your time to look and email or cal with questions. Just dont pay any attention that it's a Chebby Place.... Mike

Old 05-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Suspended

Thanks for he info RR67GTO, seems the site is not working though.

Old 05-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone here try these ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...5392770&rd=1,1

Old 05-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Clone
Thanks for he info RR67GTO, seems the site is not working though.
Hello, I just went to the sight and it was fine. Maybe you thought it was a link I posted but it was the web adress.

type into your browser >>> http://www.ss396.com And see what happens. Should take you right to a nice Chevy sight that also has other parts that fit our cars. I really like dealing with these guys for brake parts. They are not as big as say SSBC, or most others. But, their kit is by far the most complete and cost the least. And, you get the advantage of the pre bent steel brake lines when iother compaines send you soft lines in most of the kits. I believe my complete set for my 66 with new booster and proportioning valve and master was still around $600.00. In the magazine articial ss396.com even says they have the most complete set with al new GM parts and at the lowest cost. Good luck, and if you have problems email me and I'll cut and paste you the direct link..... Mike

Old 05-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR67GTO
Hello, I just went to the sight and it was fine. Maybe you thought it was a link I posted but it was the web adress.

type into your browser >>> http://www.ss396.com And see what happens. Should take you right to a nice Chevy sight that also has other parts that fit our cars. I really like dealing with these guys for brake parts. They are not as big as say SSBC, or most others. But, their kit is by far the most complete and cost the least. And, you get the advantage of the pre bent steel brake lines when iother compaines send you soft lines in most of the kits. I believe my complete set for my 66 with new booster and proportioning valve and master was still around $600.00. In the magazine articial ss396.com even says they have the most complete set with al new GM parts and at the lowest cost. Good luck, and if you have problems email me and I'll cut and paste you the direct link..... Mike
Thanks Mike, that link worked, you typed it without the "ss" in your original response.

I'll check it out.