Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default anti-roll bar ?

I would like to make an anti-roll bar for my street/strip GTO. I am planning to have a few holes in the horizontal plates ( attached to the torsion tube ) for the vertical tubes to be placed into. This should give less or more torsion on the tube for street driving or raceing. My question is can I use mild steel mechanical tubing for the torsion bar? I'm sure it would twist, but will it untwist? I was thinking 1-1/2 dia, 3/16 wall. Car is running 12 teens at 3900 lbs. May step up on power next year, but only looking for mid to high 11's. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:21 AM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to warriors revenge

call me and we can talk about your combo., what you need and what you are going to need!!

kal
262-968-2514
www.xtremefabrication.com

Old 05-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Senior Chief

I bought one off ebay that seems to be working great. This is not for your application but this is the guy I got it from.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ANTI-...QQcmdZViewItem

The changes I made was I welded a plate on the inside of the frame rail that extend below the frame rail. I then bolted the sockets/end pieces that the anti roll bar rides in to these plates so the bar could be removed for maintenance. The instructions just tell you to weld the sockets to the inside of the frame rails. The car leaves nice and level, no twist. So for best of 11.29 @ 119, 64 Tempets 3530lbs.

Walter

Old 05-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Waltrer, I e-mailed that guy about his torsion bar, no reply. Do you drive your car on the street? How harsh is the rear suspension driving over bumps?

Kal, I'll call tonight, thursday.

My other idea is to tie the lower bars toghther of my four bar setup with two plates and a torsion tube. With this I don't know how to change the preload of the chassis or if I even need to at my power level. Any more ideas?

I am tring to reduce body roll during street driving and to level the car at the drag strip. I don't think air bags would help for both, am I correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4bar 001.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	90980  

Last edited by tc; 05-10-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Senior Chief

tc,
I drive the car on the street but keep in mind that it has a spool and M/T ET Streets on back so it handles like a drag car on the street but I don't mind.