Old 05-07-2007, 08:31 PM

Default Bowtie Overdrive

Well, I let the guy on the phone talk me into a Level 3 2004R and man does this thing shift hard. Too hard. It's pretty fun at first chirping 2nd and sometimes 3rd, but after a while you wish you're wearing a kidney belt. I'm not happy.

I've been back and forth with the guy on the phone and he's convinced I've got the TV cable adjusted wrong. I managed to improve the shift somewhat by moving the mount on the throttle linkage closer to the pivot point, but I believe i've gone as far as I can. Any further and the trans starts shifting too quickly.

Does anybody have the Level 1 or 2 Overdrives? Do they shift differently?

Old 05-10-2007, 03:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't have a Bowtie Overdrive trans, but might be able to help out with the shifting. I have had the shifting on my 200R4 trans from mild to also chirping the tires away every shift. The problem can definitely be the distance of the cable pivot point from the centerline of the throttle shaft. The cable is made to always stretch out to the proper length when the pedal is to the metal, but if the cable attachment point is too close to the throttle shaft centerline then the cable won't return far enough in. When the cable stays a little too far out at light throttle, the shifts will bang. If you lengthen the distance the cable is away from the centerline, it will allow the inner cable to retract back further at light throttle. The best adjusting advise I have read was at http://www.cpttransmission.com/TechnicalInformation.htm which is Art Carr's new company after selling his old trans shop and name. Anyway, it sounds like Bowtie was having you adjust the pivot point the wrong way. I think part of the problem is these shops want to sell their adapter plates so they make everything sound more confusing than it has to be. Shortest explanation is the cable should pull all the way out at full throttle, and go all the way in without any slack when the throttle is fully closed. You do this and the shifts should soften up to an acceptable level. I made up a metal strap with a slot so I could bolt it on the carb and slide the cable point closer or farther away until I got it right.