Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:56 AM

Default 455 in a 79TA question....

I am using the block mounts that came with the motor, and a new set of mounts in the stock location as I think I am supposed to. But While I can get the driver side laced up and the tranny mount in place I cannot get the pass. side lined up. The metal mount comes to rest almost an inch too high on the cross member. I just don't see a way to get it lined up. Is this something I just need to play with or could I have something wrong. I dont know what the P455 came out of so I don't know for sure the metal brackets are correct for an fbody. Is there a diffrence? I have the rubber mounts for a 79 w/ a 400. The block is a 75 casting if that matters. Any ideas?

Old 04-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Senior Chief

Check the metal mounts on the engine to make sure that they are not the mounts which come on a 301 engine. They look similar to the 400 mounts but are different and will not fit as the 301 block is smaller than the 326 - 455 block. All other parts should fit with no issues to the best of my knowledge.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:24 PM

The metal mounts I have came with the motor, If this motor was in a gbody or something like that they would still work correct?

Old 04-28-2007, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Engine Brackets...

If the 455 came out of a big car then the brackets on the block are too wide for a firebird, by wide i mean from the block out to the frame, these will not work on your firebird.

You need the engine brackets off a 75 up firebird that had the Pontiac 350 400 455 engine in it, these brackets are not as wide as the big car, hope this helps.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:53 PM

Thanks man, I was thinking that was the case but I wanted confirmation before I ordered new brackets.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Probably not a bracket problem

I am currently installing a olds 455 in an 1981 T.A., I have run into several issues...The 455 block is over 2 inches wider and over 1 inch taller than the 403. This has led to the fabricating of motor mount brackets, and relocating the Ac/heater box, to ensure that the shacker hood still works correctly...

I currently have my 455 installed into the car, the shaker hood fits perfectly..I also have a factory HVAC box...It all still looks factory, and that is exactly what I was looking for...I do have pics of the process if you would like to see what it takes, and what it currently looks like...My email is Iamtheonlyreal1@yahoo.com Just send me an email and I will be happy to send some pics of my progress...

Good luck...The Olds 455 is a great and dependable motor... And is worth the trouble..Although half the trouble was just figuring out what to do..It is easy enough now to be be done in a couple of day...lol..If only I knew..