Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where did he go. PATIENCE

Old 03-25-2007, 05:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i dont know what happened to my original post......... but here goes. i want to help reduce noise and still have the unit kinda modular so it will come out easy. i'll use a 24" aluminum plate and rubber isolators. do these silly drawings help ? i am worried about being directly under the cell and was wondering if this setup would just amplify the sound ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0534.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	86293   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0535.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	86294  

Old 03-25-2007, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You are asking the pump to pull fuel. Bad idea with regard to pump location. It really should be behind and below the cell sump. Electric pumps are good pushers, not good pullers. Is this a race application only? If so, why are you concerned with noise?

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 03-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i guess my cell should have been mounted closer to the rear axle...there is no room behind the outlet (between the outlet and the bumper) to mount the pump. wont the pump have to pull fuel with the short line (from cell to pump) no matter where it is mounted ? in the drawing it is lower (under the cell) but not behind there would be an 18" hose from the cell outlet that faces rear looping around to the first filter.......as far as noise goes, i figure now is the time to mount it right and i do drive on the streets.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Optimally, the pump inlet should be equal to or lower than the sump outlet, and between it and the rear of the car. Electric pumps are most efficient as pushers, when the fuel is gravity fed to them. However, they will still work if mounted in other ways. Sometimes due to space constraints on the car you have to mount them as such. My 79 T/A had the pump mounted between the tank and the differential.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also that is a lot of sharp bends on the inlet side,which is something you wanna avoid if at all possible as they act as restrictions and this can increase the vacuum present in the suction side of the fuel system,this lowers the fuels boiling point and can lead to fuel boiling and cavitation concerns.

An abnormally noisy or excessively hot pump is often a good indicator of this syndrome.

If the pump is just hot and not noisier than others like it's kind,check the voltage going into it,and check for a good ground,low voltages and such will cause the pump motor to get hot often.

The best set-up should have no 180/120/90/45 degree fittings on the suction side at all,and any bends are large sweeping bends made by the hose ensuring there are no kinks in them.

And use a larger hose side on the suction side than the pressure side as well,if the pressure side is -8an than a -10an is best for the suction side when using high output pumps (if -10an pressure,then -12an suction,and so on...) .

I can post a pic from the company that makes my pump and what they recommend,but no one source is always 100% right,and not all situations can pull off what is recommended due to other factors outside the relm of our control,like your space limitations.

But if you understand the basics,you know what to try and avoid for best results.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PUMP_INSTALLATION.gif
Views:	54
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	86341  

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also,if you mount the pump underneath the cell,do be sure to protect the cell from the bolt/screw heads underneath them,you dont want the cell to be rubbing against anything that could wear a hole in the cell.

I use some weatherstripping to insulate my cell against the trunk floor to reduce the rubbing action it sees,especially around the area where the sump is riveted to the trunk floor.

Just thought I'd mention that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01125040~1.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	86342   Click image for larger version

Name:	27190729~1.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	86343  

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Boost Engineer

I have seen where the Fuel Cell was mounted on a support stand above the trunk floor and the fuel pump was mounted below the cell in the normal fuel tank location. An aeroquip large feed line fed the pump. The height of the pump was basically the same as the fuel tank so it did not protrude below the stock tank location. The fuel pump support structure was firmly attached to the vehicle frame. Some noise was tramsmitted to the frame but nothing like the pump noise from a pump mounted on the sheetmetal outside or inside the trunk.

Food for thought.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ooohh..i like that idea... !!! i am hoping i can get away with this kinda radius.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aaaa1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	86393  

Last edited by steve; 03-25-2007 at 07:41 PM.