Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anyone running a Top Shot Nitrous Kit?

Hey anyone out there running the Top Shot Nitrous Kit....the one that slips on over the air cleaner stud and fits under your aircleaner.
Considering this kit because It says you can hide it really easy
But it its a POS I will get a plate system and figure out how to use my chaker.
Anyhow lets hear Pros and cons
Mike

Old 02-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i have a set but not instaled yet

Old 02-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

P duder said that its not for a novice.

SO, unless your a NOS veteran....

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 02-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

top shot won't add any fuel, just the spray.
you must jet up to compensate for it; big pain, not for a street driver or nitrous novice.
also has poor nitrous distribution

Old 02-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedshopmike
top shot won't add any fuel, just the spray.
you must jet up to compensate for it; big pain, not for a street driver or nitrous novice.
also has poor nitrous distribution
You've got to be mistaking it for a small system like the Sneaky Pete. The Top Shot's good for ~125 HP and definitely has fuel plumbed to it.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Robert Johnson has used the top shot on the Ponte-Carlo with success. The problem is that he has to be at a track with good enough traction to be able to use it.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well according to Summits Tech line the kit adds FUEL & NItrous.
And does not need a dedicated fuel system. But I think my Electric pump can keep up if I put a Y-Block in it.
So no one has run this kit yet then, so no hard results for me to base my decision on?
So OMT dont you always have traction issues with nitrous? :P Im planning on installing a window switch to make it come on at like 3000-5500 rpm;s in an attempt to keep traction. Who knows maby it will hook right off idle
\Mike

Old 02-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The Top Shot's good for ~125 HP and definitely has fuel plumbed to it.
Yep,agreed,it definitely has the fuel side plumbing.

There are a couple of requirements for this system too,it's primarily designed to be on a holley/demon style carb,and most of these (4150 style) with dual metering blocks are pretty hard to fit under a stock air cleaner housing without some modification,while still hoping to maintain some degree of camoflage.

If you use an open element filter assembly this is not a concern.

And they state the top-shot is for use only on manual secondary carbs,so the vacuum secondary carbs are a no go too,so you cant squeeze a 4160 carb like a 3310 under the stock aircleaner and so that route either.

And definitely no Q-jets or AVS/thermoquads.

Also the carb cant have any kind of choke horn on it either,must be of the milled off for the top-shot to work right.

The top shot module needs to have the spray directed into the carb bores in a very specific manner,so keep that in mind.

I'm thinking about trying to build a plenum mounted spray bar set-up on my camoflaged torker II for my '72 birds 455,but I likely wont use it much till I go thru the short block on that car,,,anyhow...

If you wanna know more,go to the holley website and download the instruction PDF,lots of info in there.

That's what I did when I was looking into that unit.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well Im going to be running a Holley HP950 MAnual Secondary carb, as soon as Tom V is done with it.
It fit under my shaker with a TII intake in my 77 TA with no problems before, so dont see this as an issue.
Mike

Old 02-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wangers' Ponte Carlo has run the Top Shot unit for 10 plus years. It is the most efficient system that NOS sells. They do little marketing of the system because they want to make the BIG bucks on the fogger systems. The Top Shot is a fuel and NOS system. The Top Shot cools the charge thru the carb and increases the signal.

Waddy, one of the old timers (before NOS went to Holley) told us to switch the fuel & NOS lines on the unit for better distribution...so we can get a 200 HP hit. The Top Shot is also the safest system. If you clog a fogger you get an ashtray. The Top Shot provides equal distribution...as well as your intake can provide.

The attached shows you want can happen on a good track...and how the Dude Scoop fits. The Ponte now has a new VFN hood with the Dude Scoop grafted to it...room for 1" spacer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GotPonteE.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	83726   Click image for larger version

Name:	DudeScoop.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	83727  

For GTO Celebration items click the tile coaster.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool, Thanks Injun, I think im going to order the system tomorrow
I whought it would be a bit more effeciant due to the area where its mixed at...ABOVE the carb. Also thought it would be the easiest to install for keeping it all hidden. Its not going to get used ALOT, just for the occasional track trip...may not even use it there, dont want folks to know i got a little extra hid out
Mike

Old 02-26-2007, 01:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Any other comments before I make the order?
Mike

Old 02-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

get good install pics and put there here please

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 02-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default This link may help...

I too have been thinking about one on my 406 for quite a while...
Check out this link... lots of detailed pics and tips on a hidden install.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/p...aking_nitrous/

HTH
V/R,
Ty

Old 02-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i was wrong on the fuel, i'm sorry.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:18 PM

Ive also been thinking about the top shot NOS. Do you think it would fit fine in a WFO air cleaner base???

1976 trans am. 400 .040" over stock crank, CAT rods, speedpro flat tops, 72cc eheads, rpm intake, quick fuel 750, xe274, 1.5 HS. Built 700r4 (by me) w/3200 EDGE converter. 3.73's hustler headers. Flowmaster exhaust system. 17" torque thrust II's
Old 02-27-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Injun
Waddy, one of the old timers (before NOS went to Holley) told us to switch the fuel & NOS lines on the unit for better distribution...so we can get a 200 HP hit.
Do you have to jet up the nitrous kit for this or does the switching of the fuel and nitrous lines on the unit make this HP increase?

I've always wanted to run a top shot on a TA with the stock shaker assembly. It would be real easy to snake the fuel and nitrous lines up the stock fresh air hose to the shaker. Can you say "hidden"?

Former owner of '89 TTA #1102
Too Many cars... so little time
'74 455 TA
'76 455 TA
'77 400 TA
'79 400 TA
'30 Model A Tudor
Old 12-02-2008, 11:36 PM

Hello Everyone, Its ME LouisianaGuy, been a long time since I visited the boards, been really busy.
Wanted to update this thread and give yall some updates on the Top Shot Kit.
I purchased the kit over a year ago and installed and ran it about a month ago.
We didnt get time to install the kit fully till we got to the track, where we wired it and had to place the bottle in the back floor board, and run the throttle switch inside to the shifter because the stock mounting thing that came with the kit was crap and would not fit my HP950. The bottle also would not mount in the trunk and be removeable with out taking the brackets so you can fill it so i placed it in the floor behine the pass seat so I could turn it on and off.
Combo is as follows .30 over 455 almost 7years old now with about 90-100 passes on it and countless street miles. Heads are 6X-8's and compression is about 8.2 to 1 and im running a Comp XE274 cam with HS Rockers, a TII intake with a Tom V HP 950, gears are 3.23's with a Hand tight 10" converter with baloon plates and such built for my turbo set up, tires are 275/60/15 MT ET Street radials...they were new.
We went to what the track called street wars, so this ment NO TRACK PREP AT ALL, cold track, no VHT nothing.
1st pass on motor, car hooked to the tune of a 1.90, and spun a bit, usually pulls 1.74-1.85 60's, ran well but only went a 13.20 @ 104 not too slouchy for a low compression turd.

2nd pass dropped the 150 or 125 jets in right off the bat, put in the NGK plugs Pdude recomended and backed initial timing from 12 to 6 degrees for safety, and let her rip,
60' times suffered BAD as I spun through 1st, 2nd and 3rd and was getting on and off the button and throttle when I started spinning....this pass netted a 12.89@109 with a 2.XX 60' LOL

Third and best pass I pedeled it and was on and off the nitrous through 1st and second gear and still was spinning netted me a 12.50@117.....My previous best with some Tom V heads was a 12.70@106 NA this was also at 10-1 compression.

4th and 5th passes were in the 12's as well but spinning was getting worse the more and more imports went down the track, at one point some friends who were shooting video swore I was spinning almost to the 1/8th.....Made 8 passes on one botttle....around 6th pass it started sputtering....bottle getting LOW...
ALL in ALL the kit worked like a Dream and install was a BREEZE and hides VERY well, several times I had my hood up to check plugs and such and no one ever noticed I was running Gas LOL.
Oh ambient temp was in the 90's, so with some better weather and a better track 11's should be a BREEZE.
On a side note I ran my friends 408 powered unported iron head 69 MAch 1 with 5 speed to a new best with NO TUNING to the tune of 12.66@108....previous best ...also with me driving was a 13.23@104.....only diff was the ambient temp and my ET Street Radials...amb temp of 90 to ambient temp of low 60's and almost no humidity....next pass I broke the driver axle @ the 60' mark....Who says ford 9" rears are tougher than an 8.5 Chevy, and he has the Lincoln Versalies rear LOL.

So all you Nitrous Newbies do not fear the Top Shot Kit its GREAT.......OHHHHhhhhhh the only issue I had with it was that the Stud in an Hp Carb will not fit through the hole in the top shot sylenoid, the stud is too big, but they dont tell you this in the directions, it can be remedied by fishing an air cleaner stud out of a Ford two barrel carb thich has the larger base stud size and a little nut conviently made on to it half way up, which by the way places the Top Shot module at teh perfect height above the carb and it has teh smaller diameter stud at the top which allows the module to slide on it easily...if this is foggy to anyone I can send pics of the air cleaner stud you need to make it work....you may have to shorten the stud by about a 1/4 inch to get it perfect height also.

Thanks for reading.

LouisianaGuy

Old 12-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Suspended

what track were you running at lou guy?....sounds like your getting better than normal results with the top shot..

Old 12-03-2008, 12:14 AM

I was at State Capitol Raceway just outside of Baton Rouge, I was figuring that the car would go 11.70's if it would hook, seeing as how it was going 12.70's with the other heads and more compression...I was told the 100 hp will usually net you close to 1 second or so.
It hits way too hard right out of the hole for an unprepped track, I would likley break something when it hooks if it will LOL....Im going to try to go to No Probelm raceway in the next few weeks, gota get my Idler arm replaced on the suspension, its wore out and unsafe, but when that is done im going to make a few passes while its EXtremely cool here
LG