Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Suspended

Default thoughts on buying from e-bay

I really don,t agree with some guys who think ebay,s bad, 90% of the time carbs. are sold as is, the no.s are given to you, usually it says needs rebuilt, most carbs i bought may need new fuel inlet repairs but shoot its over 30 yrs old, right. I personally would never take a carb. from anybody out of a box unless i made a few simple checks first. I just bought one with no sec. cam left, it clearly stated carb. sold as is.Im no expert and don,t clame to be, but i truley believe we know what the seller is saying, I usually start with new jets, metering rods. and float , before id even start any car up.If you want a 30.00$ carb. you are buying a 30.00$ carb. If you want a 400.00$ carb. well need i repeat myself?? Enjoy the hobby guys!!

Old 02-24-2007, 02:20 AM

90 percent of my car is built from ebay stuff. I either get "Slightly Used" or "New In The Box And Never Used" parts most of the time. I've saved probably THOUSANDS by getting stuff that people bought new, never used and decided to go a different route with.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:30 AM
Senior Chief

i cant complain.i just picked up a new in the box....msd ready to run dist for 236.00

69 bird, 428 custom solid roller, rpm intake, #62 heads sd ported 260 cfm, 850 holley dp. arias pistons.scat rods redneck tranny, continental 3200 stall
Old 02-24-2007, 02:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

I've saved several hundred bucks, buying parts for my 66 Tempest Drag car Project, off of Ebay, To Date, I've had no problem dealing there. you can find some deals on there, not everything goes for "stupid money"

Old 02-24-2007, 03:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i wish ebay was around or more popular 10 years ago and i would have saved even more...just like the old saying goes..."let the buyer beware" just like in any transaction...saving includes being able to sell pontiac parts online as well as buying...

'74 formula 400, w/shaker (3 scoops) black deluxe interior, '70 406 balanced assembly, .30 trw slugs, moly rings, 4x heads 2.11/1.77 stainless valves, ra 4 cam, e-rpm intake, holley 750 vac. sec, msd hei, hooker headers w/ dual 3'' flowmaster 50 series ending at axle, t400 w/ GM6 convertor, transgo shift kit, b&m starshifter, 3.08 gears, centerlines, 265/50-15 bfg's rear and 235/60-15 front...yes im over cammed but it is still very fun...
Old 02-24-2007, 07:37 AM
Suspended

Great replys, nice car Raven, glad to see everyone is agreeing with me.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

it sure beats the swap meets that i can get to ...even carlisle. i know what i sell there is a good deal (otherwise it wont sell) so i figure MOST sellers are like me.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think ebay is bad.

I want someone to tell me why I need four numbers matching (but not very rare) original carbs for my '67 Cutlass. Answer: I don't, but they were on ebay.

Obviously, this is not my fault; if there was no ebay, I would not continue to buy things that I might not be able to find at some later date.

Therefore ebay is bad.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think ebay is awesome. When I was finishing a 69 Firebird, I was able to find a lot of the "little things" that would have otherwise been very difficult to get.

I've also sold a lot of things that I did'nt need to get money to buy the things I did need.

For Pontiac parts, if you have a fixed price in mind, then I think it's nice to offer things for sale on PY first. Not everyone would agree with this.

99.9% of my ebay deals have been smooth. Good seller/buyer communications is key to the success.

JMHO

Old 02-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Dominator carb, and my MSD digital 6+ box, and my wheels, and ....well, the list goes on. ALL from E-bay. I'm not wealthy enough to buy most parts new...and I STILL have a ton of $ wrapped up in the car.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

E-Bay is OK. Keep in mind that many folks who sell stuff are NOT in any sort of business. It pays to REMIND them to correct pack up items that can/could be damaged during shipping. We ALWAYS ask folks sending us carbs we purchase to pack them up to prevent damage to them. If not, more than likely they will send the carb is a very small box with one or two peices of newspaper, or a shop towell around it....and it will show up busted in several peices!

We also do not bid or get involved with RESERVE priced auctions. Why doesn't the seller just start the entry bidding at the lowest price they are willing to take? A high percentage of RESERVE auctions are "boosted" by the seller and/or their friends.

Most sellers also falsely advertise their items. For example, they sell plain old "grocery getter" q-jets, but almost always include the word(s), Ram Air, GTO, Trans-Am, Firebird, instead of Catalina, Bonneville, Tempest, for example. No doubt they are hoping some poor soul will think the auction is for a Ram Air GTO carb and pay way too much for it.

We also refuse to do business with folks with NEGATIVE feedback, in almost all cases where we did, it was NOT a good experience. There may be a few isolated cases where a seller could get some negative feedback, undeserved, but seeing several negative comments typically indicates they are not always concerned with good customer service.

These days the "deals" on E-Bay are few and far between, but once in a while we will score something pretty nice for a resonable price. In recent months, however, we have been outbid in the last 5 seconds on almost every single auction we've bid on. We simply put in a price, the MOST we would be willing to pay, and don't look at the auction again. Typically, if I bid on 40 auctions, we will, at most win 1 or 2 of them. This takes a lot of time, so it's really not worth the effort, just to keep loosing them by a few cents in the last few seconds.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 02-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cliff, I use close to that same strategy.

I figure out the most the item is worth to me, and I won't go higher, but I still try to wait until close to the end of the auction to bid. There may be other bidders who may not intend to bid higher than my maximum, but if I give 'em three days to think about it, they may talk themselves into it.

If I wait until the end, they don't have time to ask the wife for more money.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have done very well buying parts for my 60 on Ebay. I use esnipe and set my limit. If someone bids more, oh well! I am just happy to get the hard to find stuff without searching swap meets for years.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

over all,i like ebay,and have had mostly goodluck.i have found some things i would have never found in a wrecking yard.right date codes for some of my parts,and some new in the box parts dirt cheap.
two bad things i have found,you better be positive on the shipping cost,as sometimes its more than the part.some companies sale there stuff on ebay,but you can buy it cheaper and get the shipping free if you order it thur the catolog.
next,i've been burnt 3 times with things not showing up.paypal repaid me for 1,the other 2,1 was a moneyorder,and the other i let go past the time limit.using the police to go after the one guy who basicly said try to come and get your money.he had real good feedbacks until all at once he stopped shipping parts and several negatives showed up at one time.
there is a site that sells guns and gun parts.on their site the bidding does not stop until 15 minutes after the last bid.i like that so you don't have to worry about the last second 5 cent bid over yours and losing.
sorry cliff i might have bought some of those carbs,bought about 10 in nov-dec.like the one guy said didn't need them but they were there.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've done pretty well on ebay...both buying and selling:

Bought a perfect, complete 71 HO intake with original crossover and shields for $515. The exhaust x-over passages in my heads are blocked, so I didn't need the x-overor shields. Sold them on E-Bay for $300.

Just bought an NOS Q-jet still in the original box for $40.

Two weeks ago found a service replacement Ram Air IV carb (7029270) at the boneyard for $15. Cleaned it up, put it on E-Bay and sold it for $471.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:57 PM

Lamnas, I am horrified at your behavior. Taking advantage of someone and making such a ridiculous profit. Now, where did you say that boneyard is again??

Old 02-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to *67firebird*

good stuff awsum67.

ebay has been good to me.

got lucky on some super comp headers. $80
seller did not put exact description and did not know much about them, but i looked up the item number and i was the only one that bid on them.

also rebuilt th-400, shift kit, deep pan. $80. luckily it was near my home.

this was like 2 years ago.

now i mostly sell or buy on PY now.
(no fees) no trying to beat someone else, just a fair price for the first to grab it.

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind