Old 02-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 72 Special Paint Code 6 ?

Anyone else seen a "special paint code W 6" before on data plate?

This was a 72 Lemans GT manual I bought in NC recently that had been stored since 80/81. All #s cept for 4bbl and intake added.

Second owner had started body prep for paint and car mostly in primer.

Decklid inside is cleanest trunk I have ever seen, same for rest of body, quarters, fenders, pans, perfect car.

It is "Carolina Blue" aka: Robins Egg blue.

UNC color is Carolina Blue and I have a Uncle who owned a 69 Chevelle SS in same "special order" color. Long gone.

I was told that some Chevys came off line in this color but not many Pontiacs, and knowledgeable person said in 18 years of his work he had not seen one in Paint Code 6.

Broadcast paper shows option of "Solid Specl" @ $72.00

Anyone have any info or know about this special order color?

I know many business men came out of UNC and stayed in state so wondering if this was some alum deal through NC dealers.

Plan was to use for street project using this car.Thanks.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a cooooooooool car. Sorry I don't have any info on your special order color, but that is pretty rare to see special order paint. Post up some pics when you get a chance!

Old 02-22-2007, 03:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have seen Chevelles that colour,but never a Pontiac yet! Special Order Colours are Cool.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Same here! I ran PHS on this car and received a call from PHS saying he had seen 1-5 special order colors on Pontiacs but never a code 6 in his 18 years at PHS. Says he saw some at Chevy while he was there, and like you and I have seen it on Chevelles.

I now am having second thoughts about using this for retro mod car which is why I bought the car.

I cant drive stick anymore so may finish it and sell.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In 71 or 72 they had a "Carolina Blue" color on Lemans. I don't know the paint code. We had at least 2 Lemans GT just alike in Greensboro that color. Carolina Blue with medium blue/navy blue "GT sword stripes". One belonged to a friends mother, the other to a family near my highschool. Both were automatics, one bucket and one bench.

Could have been some kind of regional dealer "Carolina Tarheel" edition per se' - maybe ?

I think the code 6 was used when ordering customer supplied the paint formula number - like a non-current/non-GM formulation. For instance if you wanted your 72 Lemans the same color as your 65 Thunderbird, you gave them a manufacturer (dupont,R-M,PPG) formula number.

I wouldn't let a 350 Lemans with a special paint code stand in my way of building a super solid resto mod. You know how hard it's geting to find nice affordable solid bodies anymore.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

P.S. - I'll buy all the stick stuff for my 70 clone/resto mod if you end up converting yours to auto.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is that color the same that the 71 Judge vert was before Milt bought it from Gary or is it darker shade?

Old 02-24-2007, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What are the options on that GT ??

Old 02-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry for late reply,

It has: SOLID SPECL RADIO-AM VINYL TRIM
GT OPTION 2BBL 350 ENGINE GLASS-S/R-WS