Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb Opinions on my new product

Although my new safety device is not Pontiac specific, I value the opinions of my Pontiac friends. The Hot-Pin although not yet required has been NHRA approved. Here is the description:

Concept for attached device (Hot-Pin)

The hot pin is a safety device designed for the racing community. Racers having only hood pins keeping the hood in place have a tendency to forget to replace the pins after a rushed repair to their engine in the pits. The mistake goes unnoticed until the acceleration of the race quickly removes the hood and usually slams it to the pavement. This event is costly, dangerous, embarrassing and almost always ends in a lost round. With the hot pin in place, forgotten hood pins will disable the starter circuit.

The device comes with the .500 red anodized Hot-Pin and special locking pin, the relay box with a handy bump over button and all the wiring and fasteners required for installation. We can also retrofit your present hood pin. The device is installed in the front driver’s side position. The remaining retaining clips attach magnetically to the Hot Pins master lock over pin so they are always together. I put mine on the side of my trailer until I am ready to put the pins back in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hpt Pin .jpg
Views:	214
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	80102  

Old 01-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thought comes to mind. Not all tracks have downhill staging lanes like Bandimere. With the hood open/off, if the car would need to be started for any reason, there would have to be some way to bypass the function. Or is that the function of the bump over switch?

Good idea and professional looking presentation.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you for your kind opinion RAIV55. I have been using issue 1 on my car for 2 years with no problems. I do not race at Bandimere-its hurry up and wait. I travel 200 miles one way every other weekend during the Summer. The lanes in Douglas are not downhill. If you had to start your engine with the hood up, you would put the master pin back in (left front) if starting it from the driver's seat. The bump switch is for lashing valves installing dist, and timing etc. I never raise my hood after leaving the pits unless I have a problem. If the device would ever fail, there are instructions and, if you followed the instructions, you can disable the interlock in about 10 seconds. Thanks again for looking-hope I answered your question.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My dad has had his hood come off twice now due to him forgetten to pin it. I will have to mention this to him.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There was 2 cars last here how lost their hood. I also forgot one day driving to work... Good idea. How much for the set up?

Old 01-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Forgot to put the pins back on on a quickie road test..just caught the hood-up surprise with brake-apply. PHEW...oh I would never forget the hood pins.
Hmmm, that kind of reminder won't do. Wait, the ignition-lockout hood pins is useful to me.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy
Thanks again for looking-hope I answered your question.
Yes you did... thanks!

BTW, is Douglas going to open in 2007? Toward the end of last year I talked to Dianne Sanders, she said it was definately gonna run. We've been getting conflicting stories up here about the city closing it down.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Senior Chief

So im not the only one to do that? I actually did it on a dirt oval race and I was the outside pole. Ran a few pace laps, flag drops, nail it on the straight and just before turn one there goes my hood! Wasnt funny then but it sure is funny now. Think its a good idea but wonder on reliability for dirt oval racing that is very rough. The tracks look smooth, but if you havnt done it trust me they arent.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

RAIV55, yes Douglas is going to be running next year. They better because I paid for points and I am in the hunt already:0). Our first points race was the last race day last fall. Ron, I am trying to put together a price bill of materials. It looks like the thing will be in the 50.00 range. Oval racing-HMMM. Maybe you could test one for me? Like stated above, if it does fail, it is easily bypassed-but don't forget the pin then. LOL

Old 01-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Matrix, what is the sanctioning body for your oval racing?

Old 01-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool product idea.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you MrPushrod. I had the idea when my Mopar buddy lost his hood for the third time. I was always the one who had to repair his 64 Plymouth hood. All three times! He lost his hood twice in one race weekend. We patched it together with duct tape the first time. He is a one man team. LOL

Old 01-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thank you MrPushrod. I had the idea when my Mopar buddy lost his hood for the third time. I was always the one who had to repair his 64 Plymouth hood. All three times! He lost his hood twice in one race weekend. We patched it together with duct tape the first time. He is a one man team. LOL
I personally have never forgot a hood pin, but ya never know. I make it a habit to check over my car before every pass, lug nuts, hood, timing, gas,
flux capacitor, etc................ All good habits to have.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Outstanding product- you may want to apply for a patent.

John

Old 01-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ponjon, thank you kindly. I have a patent pending and I will perfect it when I get some ROI. Have you installed the Percys yet? Best regards, Steve aka fasteddy

Old 01-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Ponjon, thank you kindly. I have a patent pending and I will perfect it when I get some ROI. Have you installed the Percys yet? Best regards, Steve aka fasteddy
Not yet thanks again.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting concept,but consider there are many race cars that dont use pins at all,they use dzus fasteners,so you might consider adapting the basic concept to those as well.

My car use dzus fasteners for the glass FE,hood,and decklid.

Good luck with the business venture.

Bret.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for your input Bret. I am developing a Dzus safety right now. It will be more difficult because of the mechanics/electronics. Also working on the pin type that has the slide-throughs attached. Thanks again, eddy

Old 08-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Thanks for the encouragement

Thanks to all who gave me encouragement for the my hood pin safety device. I am contracting with Moroso Racing Products to manufacture and market the device. It will be marketed as the Moroso Hot-Pin. I am thrilled. Thanks again to the guys on this forum that pushed me over the edge.

Steve Hodge/aka fasteddy

Old 08-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good for you, that's all it takes to put pontiac money in your pocket is one good idea.

Are you getting royalties and they assume all promotion costs? I know a few people that have farmed ideas out vs. marketing themselves and this is how they were compensated.

John