1982-92 TA & FB TECH 1993-2002 TA & FB Tech is now part of the new Late Model Section of the PY Forums. Click this link to check it out.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default NASCAR 1981 LeMans

Started chatting about the 81 NASCAR LeMans on another thread that almost won Daytona 500. Here's what we got so far from Tin Injun Tom and me, Others chime in....

Tin Injun Tom: It was owned by Harry Ranier. Actually, Bobby Allison would have won the race, but his team got out smarted by Richard Petty's on the last pit stop. Maurice Petty waited to see what Allison did on the last stop. When the 28 car changed tires, Petty came in and just put fuel in, no tires.
Since it was under green, That bought Petty enough time to stay out in front till the checkered flag.

The 78-81 Lemans wasn't eligable for Winston Cup until 1981. Hence, that was the first time anyone attempted to use that body for the Daytona 500.
There were '81 Grand Prixs in that race too. Harry Ranier was the only one who had the guts to go against the grain.
Also, The '81 Lemans race car ran several more races in 1981. It even showed up in a few 1982 races with Benny Parsons. After that I guess it was outlawed for good.

With the apearance of the Monte Carlo SS in 1983, everybody forgot about the Lemans.

BR57: NASCAR banned the LeMans after Daytona one year. It was the one with a slopping nose, an 81. Everybody showed up with Regals, you know bricks on wheels, and Bobby Allison showed up with this slick LeMans and blew everybody's door off. Didn't win the race but the car dominated qualifying and the race. When the front end styling changed its aero characteristics were enhanced. NASCAR etablishment ganged up on the Pontiac (yet again) and had rule changes made to make it non competitive. Am I right on this?

I found a photo of it on e-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1981-BOBBY-ALLIS...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 01-21-2007, 12:45 AM
Senior Chief

How stupid of me.
I just remembered my favorite Daytona 500 trivia question:
What was the last Pontiac to win the Daytona 500?
Answer: Pontiac Lemans, 1983. Driver: Cale Yarborough.
Seriously folks, I didn't look that up since the previous post. My mind was so occupied by the visual memory of the black with chrome numbers Bobby Allison Lemans, I failed to recollect the Hardees car that Yarborough piloted.
The ironic thing about that 1983 win for Yarbrough was, he was supposed to drive a Monte Carlo. The Chevy was fast, but Cale flipped it on a practice run, and had to go to a backup. The Lemans was actually a short track car, to add to the irony factor.
This was also the first of two 500s in a row that CBS had an in car camera mounted in the winning car. It was awsome.
I'm not sure why the Lemans was still legal, but it must have had some weight penalty or something.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default I edited my first post

When I put up my first Post I had Cale and the Hardees White and Orange LeMans written in there but I couldn't find a photo so I edited it to go with Allison. That's 24 years ago and the memory bank isn't what it used to be. Thanks for jogging it!
I think they made the LeMans run with a huge rear spolier to offset any front aero benefits, so not banned but handcuffed.

Anyone have a picture of the 1983 Lemans Daytona 500 winner?

Old 01-21-2007, 02:27 AM
Senior Chief

Red face

I am a huge fan of classic NASCAR and have tons of info from the late 70's until mid 90's when I lost my interst after the sport became too corporate and vanilla. This is the only photo I could find of 1983 Daytona 500 of Cale's Lemans. I am not sure if this was the last Lemans Victory, I would have to do some checking but I believe Tim Richmond won in a Lemans driving for Raymond Beadle later in 1983 but i could be mistaken.

1974 455 Trans Am
1978 400 Trans Am
Old 01-21-2007, 02:39 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR57

Anyone have a picture of the 1983 Lemans Daytona 500 winner?
I bet all or most Speedweeks publicity photos of Yarborough that year are with a Monte Carlo. Some Victory Lane pics showing the Lemans would be sweet

You know what would really be killer: Some in car camera footage with sound, from Cale's car in that race.
Maybe someone could post it on YouTube.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:10 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74TransAm
I am a huge fan of classic NASCAR and have tons of info from the late 70's until mid 90's when I lost my interst after the sport became too corporate and vanilla. This is the only photo I could find of 1983 Daytona 500 of Cale's Lemans. I am not sure if this was the last Lemans Victory, I would have to do some checking but I believe Tim Richmond won in a Lemans driving for Raymond Beadle later in 1983 but i could be mistaken.

Thanks for the great photo, Mark.
You are sooo right about Nascar being over comercialized. I was also a HUGE NASCAR fan since the late seventies. I started losing interest around the same time for the exact same reason. It's just too much. In the last five years, I probably only watched about five or six races a year. That's mainly because I love the Martinsville and Richmond shows.
Now that Mark Martin has hung it up, I have a reason not to even follow the standings anymore.

Reguarding Tim Richmond: You may be right. I can almost picture an Old Milwaukee number 27 Lemans. I think Richmond also won a race or two in a Grand Prix 2+2. But that would have been with Hendricks Racing.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:10 AM

Default lemans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74TransAm

awsome-awsome picture take me back to #2 glen roberts{fireball} i belive bobbys car was blue that year.said good buy to NASCAR a few yers back,thay all look alike no the toys are in no thanks,see ya...

Old 01-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default How about another new thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdorojudge
awsome-awsome picture take me back to #2 glen roberts{fireball} i belive bobbys car was blue that year.said good buy to NASCAR a few yers back,thay all look alike no the toys are in no thanks,see ya...
Great Photo of the #28 Hardee's LeMans car. I'm just a northern boy who watches the odd race but someone with some knowledge and photos or access to them, how about starting a thread on NASCAR Pontiacs, it would be great to see those old "Smokey Yunick" cars and the like. I have an 8X10 shot of a 1975 Lemans with a GA nose but no idea who the driver or team is. I could scan it and put it on the new thread.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree,NASCAR is like all "cookie cutter" cars now..
I'll still watch sometimes.
A friend of mine (Doug Bendle) was instremental in getting Smokey's 60 Cat car recreated for Marvin Paunch. I was proud to donate some parts for the build..The 60 won the 61 Daytona race!!! I met Marvin several times now. He actually tours with his 60 now. I've saw it in some NASCAR promotional spots on TV. It was done using all of Smokey's tricks and 60's NASCAR specs ..I tell ya..those drivers had to have some gonads back then..
I'll see if I can find some pics when Marvin was at a show put on by The Pontiac's of Tenn. several years ago. Doug's home turf...They had my car,Ken Davis's Hot Chief #1, & Marvin's displayed next to each others..Boy was I honered. Spent a lot of time jawing with Marvin. He's a COOL GUY.

Damn !!....it's starting to snow here.....give me something to do..I'll look for pics..

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..

Last edited by 60man; 01-21-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here ya go .....
The 1961 Daytona 500 winner...
Owned by Smokey Yunick and driven by Marvin Paunch..
These were taken in Nashville,TN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marvin 1 (Medium).jpg
Views:	135
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	79873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marvin 2 (Medium).jpg
Views:	96
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	79874  

ECM member.
MANDRA

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.

Last edited by 60man; 01-21-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Senior Chief

Wink

I am sure I have some photos of The Lemans Cale Drove in 83, If I find them I will post it. I collected about everything NASCAR from actually about 82 until 94 or so. I canned alot of it, but kept alot of magazines and such from that time period. They actually make a Resin Model of this 81 Lemans for NASCAR kits....You guys sparked my interest, I may have to get one and build Cale's 83 Daytona 500 winner....trick is keeping it hid from my kids...LOL

Anyway....I was a huge Harry Gant fan back in the 80's and this is probably my favorite car he drove. This was actually his debut driving the Skoal Bandit Pontiac at Darlington in 1981 that Burt Reynolds and Hal Needham owned. If I had money and knew there was one out there....I would love to restore this racecar........1981 Pontiac Grand Prix NASCAR racer.

1974 455 Trans Am
1978 400 Trans Am
Old 01-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

...some more

Marvin and I in one and closer inside pic
If you look close you can see only a 4 point roll bar, used a lap belt , and some friction tape on steering wheel !!
Used a modified Stock seat. Check out air duct from firewall heater core opening going to passenger side floor....to relieve pressure in motor compartment and promote air flow through the compartment..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marvin & me (Medium) (Small).jpg
Views:	105
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	79875   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior (Medium) (Small).jpg
Views:	99
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	79876  

ECM member.
MANDRA

Last edited by 60man; 01-21-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Senior Chief

Another GREAT picture Mark.
I love all those early eighties G-body Cup cars. Harry also drove a non SS '81 style Monte Carlo (Skoal Bandit) in some races. I've seen pictures of it somewhere.

That's cool about the '81 Lemans resin model. I'd love to build some replicas of a few NASCAR North Tour cars from back in the day. That's what got me into that body style.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR57
how about starting a thread on NASCAR Pontiacs, it would be great to see those old "Smokey Yunick" cars and the like. I have an 8X10 shot of a 1975 Lemans with a GA nose but no idea who the driver or team is. I could scan it and put it on the new thread.
Good idea BR57,
Only we should be putting this stuff in the PONTIAC-race forum and it would get more exposure. And it wouldn't hurt to be catagoricaly correct.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Senior Chief

Default Old vs New

Also:
Have the courtesy to have a different thread for the pre 1973 era.
NO OFFENSE 60man. Really, I love those old 59-65 big Pontiacs. And you've got a beauty of a car. It's just,,, This is a 75-81 forum here. And the "Glory Days" interjection kind of burst my "warm & fuzzy" bubble.
So let's move this topic over to PONTIAC-race and let's keep the era being discussed seperate PLEASE......

Old 01-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up PONTIAC- race it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Injun Tom
Good idea BR57,
Only we should be putting this stuff in the PONTIAC-race forum and it would get more exposure. And it wouldn't hurt to be catagoricaly correct.
Thanks Tin Injun Tom, That's where I'll post the 75 LeMans/Grand Am NASCASR photo I have, Someone can tell me who it is....

Old 01-22-2007, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Also:
Have the courtesy to have a different thread for the pre 1973 era.
NO OFFENSE 60man. Really, I love those old 59-65 big Pontiacs. And you've got a beauty of a car. It's just,,, This is a 75-81 forum here. And the "Glory Days" interjection kind of burst my "warm & fuzzy" bubble.
So let's move this topic over to PONTIAC-race and let's keep the era being discussed seperate PLEASE......

NO offence taken... "75-81" didn't get my attention..Pontiac & NASCAR was the buzz words. Sorry. I haven't seen much jawin' going on anywhere on this board about vintage NASCAR ...so I jumped in.
BTW: "Glory Days" and Marvin Paunch..not the same deal..

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 01-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Senior Chief

Yeah, I was just trying to give it a label. It seems like I heard the late fifties/early sixties NASCAR era called that at some point.
Those early 60s stock cars are still fascinating to look at. Much more like REAL showroom cars that were thoughtfully crafted into race cars.
The cars they call "stockcars" now are pathetic. No contours at all.
Just flat as a pancake down the sides.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
It seems like I heard the late fifties/early sixties NASCAR era called that at some point.
Those early 60s stock cars are still fascinating to look at. Much more like REAL showroom cars that were thoughtfully crafted into race cars.
The cars they call "stockcars" now are pathetic. No contours at all.
Just flat as a pancake down the sides.
Even the 1981 Harry Gant Skoal Bandit pictured here has the Front facia and bumper of a stock Grand Prix and the doors are contoured ,the hood looks stock too. A little rear fender flaring going on but certainly more stock that what they race today. The current NASCAR Charger isn't even close to looking like the showroom model. To me NASCAR is all about the sponsors and Drivers, the car makes are not that important to them, go to the NASCAR site and try and find out about the cars, the engines the tech aspects of the business. I don't think it is there.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

nascar sucks now.
i quit watchin and caring in 88, when the g-bodies went away.
4 door fwd sedans converted to racecars?
and now toyotas??
snoooorrrre.
benny parsons dying was the final nail for me; i'd watch to listen to him only.