67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:39 PM

Unhappy Fold down rear seat????

I'm in the middle of restoring a 67 firbird 400. I need to purchase new rear seat upholstery. When ordering they ask if it's a folding rear seat or non. How would I know the difference. My rear seat is 2 seperate pieces. I can unattach the back and fold it down. Does that mean it's a fold down? Someone told me that the fold down seat was all one piece and it had hinges like the front buckets do. Is this correct? Please help. Thanks.

Tammy
sapphiretlc@yahoo.com

Old 11-30-2006, 11:07 PM
Senior Chief

On my non-folding rear seat, the top of the seat back sits down on two hooks and the lower part of the seat back is held to the body by a bolt on each side. When installed properly, there is no way the seat back can fold forward. So, if you can fold the seat back forward without removing anything, I'd have to say you have a folding rear seat.

Dave

Old 12-01-2006, 12:51 AM
Senior Chief

Tammy: If the upper section of the two piece rear seat is a fold-down, it will have a carpeted backing on heavy gauge sheet metal. The upper section will be very heavy. If you can look into the back of the upper section and see the springs, it is a non-folding rear seat. Hope this helps.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:28 PM

Tammy, My 68 has the fold down rear seat.It has a lever on the passengers side towards the top of the seat back that you use to release it.
Vernon

Old 12-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

67s don't have the lever. There are a couple not so good pictures of mine here: http://www.my67.net/john/Interior.htm

Old 12-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

if it FOLDS down ,its a fold down ,if it lifts up off the hooks its not...plus as said , the fold down is carpeted (or was when the car was new) on the back side = up side, after folded down.

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 12-03-2006, 11:40 PM

Thanks guys. I didn't think it was, but wanted to make sure before I ordered the new interior.

Tammy