Pontiac - Race The next Level

View Poll Results: What cam company grinds the most powerful Pontiac cams?
Competition Cams 30 39.47%
Lunati 4 5.26%
Crane 0 0%
Bullet 17 22.37%
Crower 13 17.11%
Isky 1 1.32%
Other 11 14.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2006, 03:12 AM
Suspended

Default Poll - What cam company grinds the most powerful Pontiac cams?

Currently, what cam company do you think makes the most powerful Pontiac camshafts for normally aspirated maximum HP effort engines.

Last edited by 10secbird; 10-28-2006 at 04:52 AM.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If your just looking at the "catalog" grinds,,,I'd doubt any qualify as "the most powerful Pontiac camshafts for normally aspirated maximum HP effort engines".

The catalog grinds are all pretty much the same,I'd bet a person would be hard pressed to find significant differences between most of these brands generic "catalog" grinds.

I'm sure there will be a huge debate on this subject,with brand loyalty being the primary driving factor to most opinions,and not a definitive or quantitative performance advantage.

I'll take a custom grind from any of the brands listed,any day,over any specific "shelf" or "catalog" grind from any single brand listed.

JMO,so I guess my vote is none of the above...

Or maybe I'll just go with other???

Old 10-28-2006, 04:51 AM
Suspended

OK I'll take the catalog requirement off - Rephrase - if you were going to choose a cam company to grind a cam for your max effort Pontiac engine who would you pick

Old 10-28-2006, 05:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I generally have used crower custom cams myself in the past,but nowadays the bullet stuff would be a strong contender for top choice,with comp being another close contender behind them as well,those three would be fairly interchangeable for my "meger" needs.

But not what I'd call a "max effort" NA pontiac though,unfortunately...

Just real good "general purpose" performance efforts,no way I can afford "max effort" NA type builds.

Plus there's the fact that I am often a member of the "power adder" mindset (nitrous for the most part),soooo there's that to consider too.

Regardless,I feel any of those three companies I mention could likely handle most folks needs until one starts to look at the 50MM roller cam stuff,for that stuff you better ask guys like Rex or Gaydosh,they'll know who's the "shiznit" for that high zoot hardware.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is a very subjective question, I agree with what Screaming Chief said. Some cams just magically work if you get lucky. Just about any company will hit a few home runs if the planets are aligned correctly that day. Many of the top fuel, pro stock, super stock etc. guys go with "no name" custom cam grinds by unknown cam designers. Most of us would like go and buy that magic cam for our combos but the reality of it is sometimes a crap shoot. Some guys install several different cams in their combo searching for that special grind that works best. With my very limited knowledge in this area I would probably go with a custom grind from Bullet even though I have not used them. This is based on the caliber of talented guys that are on that team including Harold Berkshire. Also some of the Pontiac engine builders Like JBP already know what cams are working with certain combo's. Some of them will share their secret grinds but others won't. There is some value in letting them select a known tried and true grind, especially if you buy it from them. I'd say that would be much better than rolling the dice.

Tim C

Old 10-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have to admit that I have always had good luck with Comp Cams. I have used a cam that was recommended by one of their techs that knows Pontiacs pretty good and my car ran great.

Robert

Old 10-31-2006, 09:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Interesting question. I wonder what cam company has tested their cams in a Pontiac.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:45 AM
Suspended

tc; Why would they do that? I wish they would though. As for who have I had the best results from, It's a case of application. I've had very good results with custom fast ramp roller grinds from both Comp and Cam Motion. I've had excellent results from Lunati with hyd. cams, (only a few grinds to choose from though that really work). Crower has some very good solid flat tappet grinds, but not many listed in the catolog. Of course, I think they have the best solid lifters and the best currently on roller lifters.
And if I could ever get the old Crane Commander cams reground again, they were far better than the crap they have now, I'd get the 244/252 version with .520"/.530" lift on a 109 lsa installed at 104.5 ! That worked in my 400's. Running 11's in a stock body car and basicly a stock rebuild with that cam was nice. Would you believe they can't even grind it today?

Of course, I'd like to get back to using some mushroom type tappet cams again too. Miss those. And alot cheaper than rollers with nearly the same power level, within 25 anyway.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

It's not the company. It's the builder and spec of the engine.

That question can't be answered.

A trick question.

What did I win.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

every company could build the exact same cam, the question is who can
design and make a cam to work with YOUR engine?

Old 11-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Ultra-Dyne

Ultra-Dyne
Pontiac Gregg

Old 11-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Answer 1A: the grinder that uses Cam Cores with lobes having material hardness greater than the lifters they try to Wipe.

Answer 1B: the grinder that can prep & restore the Lobe's surface hardness after machine&polish.

Last time I checked the cast Iron cam cores (for Flat-Lifters) were harder than the steel-billet cam cores (for roller cams). Stiffer too. HIS

Old 11-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC DUDE
It's not the company. It's the builder and spec of the engine.

That question can't be answered.

A trick question.

What did I win.
Nothing
Kenny, there are only 1 or 2 companies that will grind the cams that I want, none are listed above.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Langer
Nothing
Kenny, there are only 1 or 2 companies that will grind the cams that I want, none are listed above.
You run that switched firing order deal and the cores only come from one source I know of with lift in the .1000" range. Comp should be able to do it?

But I think the dude is talking basic street/strip stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10secbird
Currently, what cam company do you think makes the most powerful Pontiac camshafts for normally aspirated maximum HP effort engines.
kENNY, i THINK THAT ANSWERS THAT QUESTION. IT'S NOT JUST THE LIFT, ITS THE DURATION AT .200 THAT COUNTS.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Presently, the Lunati Voodoo line (Harold's design) has the most "area under the curve" for current cam designs.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:13 AM

Ultradyne. Is that Harold at Bullet now???

CompCams 236/242 hydraulic roller
Tribal Tubes tri-y headers
TH400 13" Continental "Jim Hand Special"
3.50 9" CurrieTrac, 245/45-18 Front, 275/40-18 Rear
Old 11-04-2006, 12:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

no he is not there

My Daddy bought me a car but all I got was this old Pontiac.