Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-17-2006, 07:28 PM

Default starter doesn't fit?

Maybe I'm a dummy, and had to many beers last night...but my starter doesn't seem to fit! I think it's the bellhousing, but I'm not sure. I'm working on getting pics. It's 67 gto, with a 400 and a fourspeed. Is it possible that I have the wrong bellhousing? How do I tell what i have?

Old 10-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

'65-up engines all use essentially the same bellhousing, with a starter that bolts to the block. If that's what yours is, it's right. Earlier engines have starters that bolt to the bellhousing. There are bellhousings from the late '70s that have a different clutch fork location, but they won't work in your car, and there's no difference in the starter location anyway. Sometimes it's hard to get the starter nose to fit into the hole in the lower cover, though.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Some aftermarket starters have block or pan interference issues and have to be clocked differently.
Also I have had people try and install the aftermarket starter upside down and won't fit.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Suspended

If you installed a Mcloed industries aftermarket scattershield and followed the instructions completely your starter will not fit. Thier customer help line is 1 800 eat chit. extension # sucker.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontirag
If you installed a Mcloed industries aftermarket scattershield and followed the instructions completely your starter will not fit. Thier customer help line is 1 800 eat chit. extension # sucker.

Have an issue do we. LOL.