Old 10-08-2006, 06:08 PM

Default Alternator Hot

I've been having some problems with battery discharging. I charge my battery-start the car and drive for 20-30 miles, then shut off the car. When I go to restart later in the day, the battery is low. Today I went to start the car and cranked it a few times for 20 seconds or so and the battery was low again. The battery is new. I touched the back of the alternator and it was hot-too hot to hold your hand on for long. I disconnected the positive terminal and the alternator cooled down after about 1/2 hour. When I touch the positive cable to the battery terminal-the alternator jumps a little and the regulator clicks and the alternator quickly gets hot again. The idiot light now stays on even with the ignition off and the key out. 1966 GTO. 37amp alternator. Any ideas? George?
Thanks
John

Old 10-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You have shorted diodes in the alternator. There should be no current flow in the output wire of the alternator when the alternator isn't charging.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, agree with Lpete.

George

Old 10-09-2006, 10:10 AM

Thanks,
I'll pull it out and have it rebuilt. I kinda thought it might be the diodes from reading past posts, but wanted to be sure.
John