The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 10-04-2006, 09:42 PM

Question Water Trap - '64 GP & '64 GTO

I've got a '64 GP that I've recently painted and am working on the interior. I've also got a '64 GTO that's in a frame-off bare metal state. Both of them have had rot around the lower window corners. The trough that the rear window sits in seems designed to trap water. On the GP the trim in back of the rear side windows makes the problem worse (although I love the trim on that car). With the GP, when I bought it, the whole bottom of the trunk was rotted out. With the GTO almost the entire bottom of the rear window glass channel was rotted as well as the trunk. A lot of work to fix, as I'm sure many of you guys know.

My question is, aside from liberal applications of silicone, has anyone come up with a way to shed the water that puddles there and then seeps into the trunk? I've talked with several experienced folks, one suggested fabricating a "rain gutter" inside the trunk that drains into a tube that channels water out the bottom of the trunk...this would seem prone to getting clogged.

As it is, I'm really hesitant to expose either of these cars to water when I get them on the road. What say you?

Old 10-05-2006, 01:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ronan,
Probably 30 years ago, I placed brass tubes in the outside corners of my 67 GTO rear window and ran rubber hose from them through the trunk down through the raised area beside the wheelhouse. Best use I ever found for bondo. If they ever clog, all it takes is a shot of air from under the car to clean them. Never have had any more trouble. The 67 had more room under the chrome to do that than the 64, but you might want to entertain that thought, and figure how to do it.
Charles