Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-24-2006, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Highly advanced HEI module heat sink grease

This is either a really funny prank some of you guys are trying to pull, or somebody who's trying really really hard and just hadn't figured it out yet.

For what it's worth, someone sent me a distributor that I found on my porch today. Nothing special, HEI , dirty, good bottom bushing though. I noticed there was no letter inside, no return address on the outside, just the return address from the shipper. Some place like pack mail or something. I haven't had time to figure it out yet. As I'm looking it over wondering what I should do as far as working it, I keep noticing a strange but familiar odor about this thing. Now keep in mind I've got a little young one (child)still around the house.

As I lift the module off this thing I notice it has the same old familiar white paste heat sink compound that makes one hell of a mess on you and anything else you touch after you get it on you. However, this thing didn't have module grease under it it had Desitin ointment under it!!!!

So what gives??? Is this a joke?? Or a really emergency roadside fix???

Philcol.... you behind this??? Fess up.

You guys can't actually be serious????

I thought I had seen it all, but now I realize, I have not. I hope everyone gets a laugh out of this, cause I know I sure did.

Now who did it???

Old 08-25-2006, 01:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Whoops, I'm sorry. I was out of Prep-H.

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25
Old 08-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was that Desitin?.... thought I reached for the Vagicil

Old 08-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that's pretty damn funny.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well usually the things will have the usual smells about them while your taking them apart. Carb/float issues end up with alot of gas residue in the oil (if left for a long enough period) smell. Old oil thats been in there for a long time smells funny too, especially if overheated and not been changed. Regular stuff.

The only one that was close to this was a guy sent one and I noticed it smelled wierd. He called me to see how bad the bushings were or if they were. I asked him what kind of oil/additive was he using cause it smelled bad what ever it was. He said.... and I 'm not kidding... "None just regular Valvoline, the only thing I can think of is that I had left it in a box in my living room so my wife could ship it later in the day and it didn't smell when I put it in there that I noticed. Likely since it stayed there for a few hours the cat may have peed on it, that's the only thing I can think of. Did it smell like cat pee or something else???"

I thought,I don't have a cat so how would I know that???
The effect of that phone conversation has to be appreciated as he called the afternoon while I was standing there working on it when he called. Surprise!!

Old 08-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

trust me - you'll know cat piss when you smell it.
it's right there with old nasty gear oil in it's delicate aroma.

Old 08-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

gotta be careful about real versus maksehift heatsink compounds. See, alumina or titanium dioxide in just any grease do not have the heat conduction properties of the real themal compound.

Certainly not Berylia powder, but you could hope for aluminim or boron nitride for the best thermal conductive with electrically insulative properties.

Since the HEI does not need electrically insulative, rather any wet-bond may be seen as better than dry, so I would promote the use of any stable wet-bond such as petroleum jelly over the messy "feel-good goop" thermal grease.

Engineered thermal compounds reserved for electrically-insulating applications, such as those audio power transistors in 1970-1980 audio designs were a mess and pain then and mostly designed-out of the dirty auto under-hood applications.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

do you post just to hear yourself talk?

Old 08-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmmm. Gold-Bond you say???? There's a new one.

How do you mix that by the way???

Old 08-27-2006, 07:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I figured you'd notice a dead fish under the module...........

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that was HIS' deoderant

My Daddy bought me a car but all I got was this old Pontiac.