Old 08-18-2006, 02:10 AM

Default Will 79' T/A with 400 pass smog in CA?

Hi everyone, I'm new to posting here and I was wondering if you could help me out with a question that I have? I'm building a 79' Trans Am with a pontiac 400, TH350 automatc, 2.73 posi rear, and I'm having the engine built at an engine shop in Sacramento. If I locate all of the smog equipment that originally came with the 400, will it pass smog? I know that the 400 motor wasn't available to CA residents, only the 403 was. So will it pass smog???
Also, since the car I have right now was equipped with the 403, will the wiring harness be compatable? what will I need to complete the swap? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:31 AM

I am sure you will need an AIR system. My brother's 75 formula firebird requires it here in AZ, so I am sure that Cali requires it. My brother got around all of that with his 75 with just two very simple changes. They aren't even noticeable to people who are looking. Although I don't think a solution for 79 will be quite as easy, you can still take my bros method and adjust it to suit your own needs. I don't wanna give away his secret to the masses, PM me if you really wanna know his secret.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When we lived in CA they had a list of different stuff to convert non CA cars. Our VW Beetle had to get an EGR added. Spacer plate under carb pipe tapped into exhaust. I am sure they have the same now adays. I would think all the original stuff would be a good start(EGR,cats etc.) a lean tune, playing with tiing and advance. Hotter cam could make it more difficult.