Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-14-2006, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 141 MPH in a 67 GTO!

Okay, don't flame me too hard but I took the goat out tonight and ran it up to 141 mph with my wife holding the GPS receiver. It was definitely the scariest and wildest thing I have ever done with my car. You honestly couldn't have driven a straight pin in my arse with a sledgehammer!

I have had the car to 120 numerous times but this was a completely different animal. I don't think I will go any faster than that, but it would do it. It was still pulling rpm in 5th gear with the TKO 600. I tacked out 4300 rpm and then let off. I asked my wife what the gps said and she said she saw 141 but she didn't know if it had gone any higher or not. The calculator says it was going 152 but I don't think we got that fast.

What is the fine for 141 in a 65?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000676.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	62142  

Old 08-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Preety impressive, but why take the risk to hurt your family and that nice Goat by doing that. There isn;t a road built to handle that kind of speed in North America .

Take it to the track, where they will tech you and then let you run in a controlled environment with medical people on hand if something bad happens.
A 55 year old guy here in a vette lost control racing another Vette and killed a lady walking her dog. I am sure her husband and her children think about it every day

Old 08-14-2006, 11:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Damn that's a nice looking GTO!

How can I flame you with a comment like the "Sledgehammer" LOL! That was funny.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gearbanger, what you do is your business but i have to ask this question.

Why did you have your wife in the car going that speed, did you have the kids in the back seat also?

Old 08-15-2006, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

damn nice....dam nice

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 08-15-2006, 03:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
There isn;t a road built to handle that kind of speed in North America .
Ohhh,I would disagree with that comment...

We have plenty of real well made "wide open" roads in down 'round these parts,even have an open road race like them fellers up in Neeevaaadddaaa...
http://www.bborr.com/

http://www.silverstateclassic.com/

We also got us a "flyin mile" type deal here too!
http://www.texasmile.com/

Even a high zoot super speedway deal where you can "open 'em up" from time to time (TWS).
http://www.texasworldspeedway.com/

Or if you got big time contacts,there's always the bridgestone testing grounds outside of Ft. Stockton...

But I agree,doing something like this on a public highway,with passengers may not be the most prudent thing to do.

I'm sure even those "sanctioned" deals have a few saftey regs to follow...

Quote:
Why did you have your wife in the car going that speed, did you have the kids in the back seat also?
Would that be better or worse than having the dog leashed to the bumper ala' Clark Griswald???
JK folks...
No animals were harmed in the writing of this BAD joke...

I've gone as fast or faster on two wheels on surface streets within the city limits,so no way I get to throw stones here!!!

But I chalk that up to being quite a bit "younger" at that time.

None of that for me anymore.

Oh,BTW,you dont really need to worry 'bout the fine for that infraction,between going straight to jail and loosing your license for the next few years,the biggest concern will be figuring out how the hell your going to get insurance after getting caught performing a stunt like that!

The insurance agents will just give you a blank look and shake their heads "no"...

Old 08-15-2006, 07:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice car. Now you know please don't do it again. Montana was reasonable and prudent years ago and many times I ran 120 but 140+ is definately excessive on any road.
On a side note. Probably driver error but... Larry Miller , an auto magnate here, has a new motorsports park. He decides to do a Super Car rally. With the state police involved they allowed the cars to hit 140+ speeds if desired on one straight, good stretch of highway 15 south of Salt Lake City. One owner of a Ferrari Enzo? , worth about 1,000,000 went off the road and totalled his car. He had moderate injuries.I am sure it was his fault as that car should be able to handle speeds in excess of 180 but... you just never know what could happen.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I knew there would be some flamers!

Well, just let me address a few points just so you guys don't think I am a total idiot, just a little crazy.

The road was a parkway, very straight, flat and wide. There isn't a better stretch to run 140 on anywhere. There were no cars because this is a very deserted stretch of roadway, you know, one of those pork barrel projects that was never really needed anyway

About having my wife in the car, I had to have her to hold the GPS! No really, my wife wanted to go and she has already had a speeding ticket in a Mazda 929 at 120 mph. She is a bigger speed freak than me. She has also done the Petty ride along experience and loved it. We hit 160+ on Atlanta speedway.

O2 Hawk, there are absolutely no pedestrians walking dogs allowed on the parkway.

It was fun as h3ll but, I probably won't do it again. When you build these cars, you just want to know what they'll do. It is a pro-touring type car, so It is better than the average bear for going 140. At 120 the car is not even laboring and handles fine. But 140 was about my limit for safety.

Next stop will be the drag strip. I just want to see what I can get out of the way it sets on the street, on radials and through the exhaust.

Hoping for a mid to low 12. We'll see!

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the fine for something like that is..."YOU GO TO JAIL! YOU GO TO JAIL NOW!" (LOL)

Old 08-15-2006, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 08-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Disc or drums up front?

GPS Velocity calcs are accurate to fractional m/s or MPH so that 141 is bang-on, darn tootin. HIS

Old 08-15-2006, 10:08 AM

Send a message via MSN to 66geeto

congrats, and i love the stance and wheel combo on your car.....tell me about ur rims. I'm shopping for torque thrusts but i don't want to have the same rim as 60% of a car show. Those look like a sweet alternative.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Something others are also not considering is...

My car will get to 135 mph in the 1/4 mile. Looking at his car, the tranny, I'd wager he has a nice motor as well. It's very possible it was just a short blast. That was my line of thinking, not a "Hold on, hold it to the floor for three miles" blast...

Gandy Bridge in Tampa is almost 4 miles long, dead straight and flat with no cross streets . The Vipers, Vettes, LS1's, Cobras and Supras routinely run over 160 in a short burst (800 + HP) out there without incident. Over the past few years however many of the ricers have wrecked going 110 so the police shut it down, as they should. If the bridge was empty, they were the only ones going to get hurt, someone that pulls that crap on a busy road is a complete A$$hole moron that needs someone to tie them to a bumper and go for a ride.

That said, I'm sure his road was just as safe as Gandy, and it was a short burst. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...

Old 08-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bet he went for three miles or more . . .

And, as for the fine, well, there isn't one. I know from experience that a Crown Vic will not go that fast.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont see anything wrong with going fast on highway if there inst anyone else around, plenty of roads like that around here in florida, just has to be at certain times of the day, nice flat roads where you can see over 2 miles ahead when clear. Iv taken my 05 gto up to 160 mph in 5th gear coming home from daytona beach on I4, also had my 06 yamaha R1 up to 175 mph on the same stretch, Id never do it with any other cars on the road though.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I cruised out the parkway to a rural interchange and crossed over and headed back the way I came. I would say that after I entered the parkway again accelerating pretty good but not full bore until I got it in 5th and then matting it, I probably traveled about a mile before I started letting off. The car felt perfectly smooth, but I kept having thoughts of my hood exploding off the car or the front end getting light and the whole car getting sideways or something crazy, so I basically woosed and let off.

141 is good enough for me and d@mn that was fun! It sure doesn't take long to get there. The motor is a KRE headed 461 with a hyd roller. Supposed to be making around 600 hp.

Old 08-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

awesome dude!!! overhere in europe germany and spain this is daily bisenis lolol i did 2200 kilometers in 15 hours including pitstops !!!!!..................

Old 08-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

beautiful car....and i would have been honored to of had you fly by me at 140 mph in that thing if i were cruising the parkway. hell, id pay to see that.

66 GTO clone, 467 cubic inches of Turbocharged Multiport Fuel Injected fury twisting a TH400 into 3.90's wrapped in a 12 bolt posi.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
My Vortech Supercharger Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

May the Karma Gods meet you half way....
Old 08-15-2006, 05:52 PM
On Vacation

Out in BFE on a freeway, No one around to kill except yourself and any willing passengers, and you have the equipment designed to handle the speed... just not sure if it is my cup of tea.

Good deal! Glad you had fun.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:53 PM

Beautiful car

My wife wont ride with me

maybe she says if I put seatbelts in the thing