Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Angry The Power is Gone!?

Hi,
I decided to install a proper 68 GTO fuel pump to Carb tube. Mine had been butchered to install an in-line fuel filter. After discovering that I had to remove the alternator and loosen and swing the power steering pump bracket out of the way, things went well. I previously had a 1" phenolic spacer between the carb and stock cast iron intake manifold. I had to remove that to make the fuel tube connect properly. I used a new gasket between the carb and intake. I installed the correct choke cookstove to linkage rod. Throttle linkage is correct and operates smoothly. All vacuum lines (Dist Vac advance and secondary dashpot are connected. Set the curb idle to around 800 rpm. All unused vacuum ports are capped.
Took the car for a test run. On WOT it drives and sounds like a 2 barrel. The great low end torque is gone.
What I have I overlooked????????????????????????????????????????

Old 06-18-2006, 01:17 PM

check your linkage , do you still have wide open throttle with out the spacer?

Old 06-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Senior Chief

You might have a gigantic vaccuum leak.

Old 06-18-2006, 01:23 PM

darn I totallty missed the spot in your post where you said your linkage was ok oops lol

Old 06-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My son is coming over with Father's Day lunch. I will have him sit in the driver's seat and push the pedal to the floor. I'll check to make sure that the secondary linkage is fully open at WOP. There is no top secondary plate stop on this carb, so the choke can't be preventing them from opening at WOT.
The car ran really good before I decided to mess with it. Murphy's Law and I'm a Murphy.