Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-27-2006, 04:12 PM

Default Another 400 Roars to Life!!!

Today we started and broke in the cam on my 400 which goes in my 1966 GTO. Everything went like clockwork - which surprised me based on the horror stories I have read about in the forum. I was expecting all kinds of issues, especially overheating. Engine is bored .35 over, Scat H-Beam rods, Comp 274 cam, Edelbrock RPM Performer heads and manfold, a modified Holly 750, Dougs Headers, and other goodies. It desktop dynos at 453 HP and 505 FT/lbs tourque. We had ZERO problems on start up - here is why.

Jeff (AKA Shaker 455) assisted/supervised the build (Thanks a million!!), Leo from R & L Engines, Dover, NH did all the machine work (Great job), we took our time, and Jeff was a stickler for details, tolerances, and is the Carburetor Dr. Engine just touched 210 F at the the end of 20 minutes. One thing that helped here is my friend from a local Ford dealership helped with the cooland installation by bringing his "coolant sucker" which creates a vacuum in the engine and forces coolant into every crevice - no chance for an air bubble with this system - a great idea I had never seen before. The Rodney Red radiator didn't hurt either.

Another great thing was the Painless Wiring system worked flawlessly - there was not one wire on the car when I got it. All the gauges worked first time. I will post pictures of the custom dash I made with Autometer gauges soon. A lot of tips from this forum went into this build - so thanks to everyone who put their problems and solutions on this site - It helpd a lot and I appreciated all the advice.

Anyways - it was a great day - this car will be a beast - "The Goat Lives".

Old 05-28-2006, 07:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Congrats !!! It is a great feeling to finally get it fired up and broke in...

My 70 Judge Restoration documented at: http://thejudge.dyndns-home.com:8080/
Old 05-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats. Only 453 with edelbrock heads?

Old 05-28-2006, 05:29 PM

Glad to hear your good news. I'm hoping to finish up on a '66 400 this summer that came from Eliot five years ago. Didn't do too much on the engine besides the rear main seal but just about everything else got touched. A Ford guy and a former R&L guy helped me out during the "heavy" construction.

Where are you located - in case I need more than inspiration, lol! Hope to see you on the road.

Old 05-28-2006, 05:50 PM

MTN Goat - send me an email - we can swap NH stories.

Ron H - why do you say only 453 with Edelbrock heads - what is your estimate or what in your experience do you think this should have? Would love it if it has more so let me know what you think - thanks. When we came up with the basic engine plan we planned it around a 450 HP motor and this was the recommended package from R & L.

More is always better if you think these will give me more HP. This was just the desktop dyno - engine has not been on a real one. Still psyched about the startup.