Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-18-2006, 04:25 PM

Default E85 yes or no

can i run E85 in my 400.......

Old 05-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

from what i hav found from checking other web sites yes

but you will hav to jet the carb richer

im very interested in this because im tierd of giving my money to the oil companys

Old 05-18-2006, 06:26 PM

So you would rather give even MORE of your money to the Archer Daniels Midland Farmers cooperative?

Old 05-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Senior Chief

You might want to do some research on this. Pistons might be different along with headgaskets to make a e85 motor what it is.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i don't know about the Archer Daniels Midland Farmers are thry trying to kill us??

compression can't be too radical after all it runs regular gas to

there are many kits on the internet you can buy to convert your gas car
to e-85

http://xcelplus.com/e85/e85informationcenter.htm

Old 05-18-2006, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

my new gmc runs on e85, it tows the firebird to and from the track. thats the closest its comming to the car... check with your local dealer and ask what makes a e 85 car tick.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:34 PM

From what I have read, just set up to run alcohol....The 15% gas is to help with startability in colder climates.

It gives like 105 (?) octane I believe....

Old 05-18-2006, 09:09 PM
On Vacation

I would rather give my money to someone that is trying to supply alternative fuels that we can produce here in the U.S. than give my money to some country halfway around the world. Keep USA USA!!

Old 05-18-2006, 10:46 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to "Puddles the Pontiac"

i second subfans submission, hey subfan, ever go to East Moline Speedway? my dad used to race there. Ronnie Weedon was my uncle.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, you can run E-85 no problem. All you have to do is jet the carb up. There is nothing special about the head gaskets or pistons. I know a guy who is running it in a stock eliminator car. I'll have to ask him how much you need to jet up. I can't remember off hand. I know it needs to run quite a bit richer but not near as rich as alcohol. An alcohol carb needs a lot of the passages modified to flow enough fuel. I don't believe Mike has made any modifications to the carb other than bigger squirters and jets(If I remember right the jets were in the 90's). And 105 octane is an added bonus and it should run cooler. The only down side is you will be getting a little worse gas mileage with the E-85.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:57 AM

Yes I have been to the East Moline Speedway....IIRC, didn't Ronnie race for a very long time? Pass away like last year? (Sorry if I am incorrect)

You still need to change out fuel lines and such so the alcohol does not eat things...

Old 05-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DScruggs
So you would rather give even MORE of your money to the Archer Daniels Midland Farmers cooperative?

They are the only farmers that would benenfit from us running E85? If you have an issue with farmers making more from the price of corn going up due to use as a fuel, then maybe some looking into economics is a good idea.

It will run cooler, allow higher compression, and run with a few changes to the carb. It will get less mileage but not bad enough to compare with $3+ for premium or $7 for race gas. In Green Bay Wis I saw it for $1.00/gal, even if it takes twice as much fuel for the same distace, its still less than $3 a gallon.

How much is it where you guys are?

Old 05-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question

Thumpin, I found E85 in Dearborn for $2.79 and at the same station 87 octane gas was $2.95, So its a little cheaper. I have been researching using E85 and I dont think the jetting or avalibility would be my problem. I have found alot of mixed info on how corrosive ethanol is? I dont know if people just assume its the same as methanol?? so my research continues.....

Old 05-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpin455_GTO
It will run cooler, allow higher compression, and run with a few changes to the carb.
Doesn't it NEED higher compression to try and get the same power?

Old 05-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This seems to be some kind of secret in the automotive world, but the General Motors 5.3 liter V8 (you know the one ... it only goes into Tahoes, Suburbans, Silverados, Yukons, Yukon XLs, Sierra, etc.) has been E85 compatible since last year. That's right ... over 1 million GM vehicles are capable of running on a substance that doesn't come from the Mid East, is grown by AMERICAN farmers and is completely replenishable. Everyone brags on the Toyota Prius as such a great thing ... except is takes about 150,000 miles of use to break even when you consider all the costs. GM also has a fleet of pure hydrogen busses rolling around major cities on the west coast. Those big busses would be using a ton of Saudi Arabian gas if they weren't running on hydrogen. I like to brag because I work for GM and we're getting a lot of hard knocks when we actually do more than the imports to save imported fuels. I'll step off the soap box to comment on this thread.
E85 will work in our cars. It results in a slight decline in fuel economy, but is also less cost. The only problem is that it will dissolve old fuel deposits (varnish, gunk, etc.) that can cause the fuel filter to plug. It is also not a good idea to run it in original equipment fuel lines, but it also not a good idea to be using those old original equipment fuel lines. Just change them out with the stuff that you can buy at AutoZone or other parts chains and you'll be OK as far as the fuel lines go. Change them all ... that includes the supply hoses at the fuel tank.
Brazil has been running on pure ethanol for several years now. Their refineries are at full tilt and their farmers are loving it. They are no longer dependent on the whims of the oil producing nations. We need to be in that situation.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

YEA

Old 05-19-2006, 11:35 PM

Well said gtoformula!
My parents raise corn in Nebraska and they are building ethanol plants in a lot of the small towns there.It has been great for the farmers and the economy right here in the USA.

I work for a gmc dealership and I agree that it would be wise to replace the old fuel lines.

Old 05-20-2006, 01:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Replace old steel? stainless? aluminum? rubber? Can braided stainless hose be used for fuel lines?

Old 05-20-2006, 11:33 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to "Puddles the Pontiac"

maybe i missed something somewhere, but are aftermarket electric fuel pumps (non alcohol Holley HP-Holley Blue) compatable with E85

Old 05-21-2006, 01:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If they say they are compatible with alcohol then yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddles the Pontiac
maybe i missed something somewhere, but are aftermarket electric fuel pumps (non alcohol Holley HP-Holley Blue) compatable with E85