Old 04-26-2006, 04:13 PM

Default Heater Core question 67 GTO w/AC

I know the answer I think but want to check. I've got the front of the car disaasembled to paint/detail and have easy access to the core. It seems fine now with no leaks - should I go ahead and replace it now for insurance? Or is a working old one better than a new core? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-27-2006, 02:48 PM
Suspended

core comes out from inside under the dash. if you have the heater box out, then replacing the core is not a bad idea.

Old 04-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, and do the fan also.
When my car was all ripped apart, I skipped the heater core, as it didn't leak, so why make more work......
I put everything back together, started the car, and Yikes, core leaked into the car.
I had to bypass it. 2 years later, I removed the box from inside, easy enough to do as engineer said, but to get to the fan, the fender has to come off. I did not want to mess with all the alignments of the hood, fender, door, as I would never get it right again.
Better safe then sorry.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Blower motor ??

Um I made the mistake of not remembering to tell the body shop to replace the blower motor in my 67 GTO. Everything is done under the hood to real high standreds. Are you saying the outside fender has to be removed for me to get that box out?

OK, my second question if the answer to number one is YES. I was reading something in one of the Pontiac magazines last year I believe. They addressed this problem by making a small hole or something. Anyone know where I start cutting?? I am not removing my fender just to replace the blower motor. HELP !!!

Thanks friends.

MIke

Old 04-28-2006, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

From what I have read here, it should come off.
Maybe just removing the inner fender will give you enough room, I believe the motor assembly needs to pull straight out, so you will need the room to remove it.

I stuck a vaccume hose in there and sucked out all the crap and cleaned the fan blades as best I could from the inside of the box. I tried to lube everything with a really long nozzle and WD40. I hope it will last. Coming up on a 40 year old part though.
Kinda too late for me know.
I am sure someone will chime in with a short cut.....I hope.
My car does not have AC, so I use the fan rarely now.
But if you have AC, you will use it more and it's really a b*tch to get to.

Old 04-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Suspended

you do not have to remove any fender part to change blower motor on a 67 with factory air. it can be done under the hood with everything there. have done it many times. Easier with fender or wheelwell out, but can be done with them in.

Old 04-29-2006, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Blower motor?

That's great to hear, and so is the part about having an AC car. I seem to always get low option rides, but I'll work at getting it out without removing the front of the car. Thanks every one and good day. Now, I have to go ask another question.

Mike

Old 04-29-2006, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would like to hear more.
How do you get to the nuts?
Removing the blower assembly? If this is true, I would like to do it. The manual shows how the assembley comes out, not all the prep work.
Looks like a pain in the butt, whith everything on.