Old 04-10-2006, 02:38 PM
Suspended

Default Removing Stainless Trim- Help

I'm only going to have one shot at removing the stainless around the windshield, drip rails and side windows. I don't see how I can get it off without bending it. Any tips would be great.

63 Lemans

Thanks

Old 04-12-2006, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Coupe or Convertible?

Old 04-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Suspended

coupe

Old 04-12-2006, 08:34 PM

I also need this expert advise for a wagon I'm doing.

Old 04-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Suspended

Someone must know how to do this.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know on my coupe, I have pretty much realized that I am going to ruin it taking it off. I just does not look like it was intended to be removed.

1966 GTO Hardtop - PS 14.84 @ 97mph
Old 04-13-2006, 09:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Get yourself a 63 Pontiac and Tempest Body Shop Manual from Faxon Auto Literature. It is a reprint of the original Pontiac GM manual. I got mine for $29 and it has detailed pictures and instructions on how to remove trim, adjust body panels, windows, doors, etc. Everything you need to know to work on the body.
www.faxonautolit.com 1-800-458-2734.

Last edited by 6T5 Cat; 04-14-2006 at 02:31 AM.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:44 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6T5 Cat
Get yourself a 63 Pontiac and Tempest Body Shop Manual from Faxon Auto Literature. It is a reprint of the original Pontiac GM manual. I got mine for $29 and it has detailed pictures and instructions on how to remove trim, adjust body panels, windows, doors, etc. Everything you need to know to work on the body.
www.faxonautolit.com 1-800-458-2734.
You must work for this company. Obviously you have never read the 1963 body manual chapter 15. I have, I own an actual manual. It says absolutely nothing about how to remove it without damaging it. They assume it is already damaged and you are removing it to replace it. Manuals are not built for restoration, they are built for repairing late model cars with available parts.

Someone on this board must have removed these pieces intact and remembers how to do it.

Old 04-14-2006, 08:52 AM

I'm in the process of putting my door edge trim back on. I did some damage while removing it but it is minimal. I used an old fashioned bottle opener with a rounded edge to catch the window side lip (inner) and pull the lip away from the frame. I backed the fulcrum part of the can opener up with a plastic bondo spreader to minimize the damage. This still caused a small indent in some spots. A small piece of sheet metal or a metal scraper might have done a better job to back up the fulcrum. The good things is that it is the center of the trim where it's easy to work out before buffing.
Now if I can figure out how to put in on without damaging the paint.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No, I don't work for that company, and I have read the manual very thoroughly. You asked for help and I just tried to provide you with a source for information on your problem and place to obtain the manual if you didn't already have one. That's what this forum is about...people helping people and sharing information. Maybe you should read the manual again and check out the diagrams on how the trim attaches. It also lists the types of tools used to remove and install trim. And, if you think the manual assumes the trim is being removed because it is already damaged, then your concept of maintenance is misguided. Did you stop to consider that body shops remove trim for painting and other reasons, or how about the auto glass shops changing a cracked windshield? Do you think the trim is destroyed everytime the glass is changed? Your thought process is out of whack, and shows that you have limited experience working on vehicles. I removed and reinstalled the drip rail and door window trim on my 63 coupe a couple of weeks ago and didn't damage it or put a mark on it...I read the manual and used the proper tools. And by the way, manuals are not "built", they are "written". Somebody should take your tools away from you until you take a reading comprehension course.

Last edited by 6T5 Cat; 04-14-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Suspended

Whoa calm down buddy. Your advice sucked. Go read the manual again it says where to start and what tool to use, but absolutely nothing about how to use the tool to remove the trim. Where are these "detailed pictures and instructions on how to remove trim" They're not in my manual. Most paint shops mask trim. Actually the windshield trim came off pretty easily. I am more concerned with the door trim.

Learn english dude. You can build a manual.

You must be new to message boards. Your broad generalizations and weak attacks at what you thought was a typo are pathetic. Please stay out of my thread.

Old 04-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Suspended

No one has successfully removed this trim?

Old 04-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cant help ya guy!! Never needed to remove it before. I would check in your area for some body shops that work on early Gm cars & see if anyone there can give you some ideas.