Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-09-2006, 12:52 AM

Default Tripower Aluminum Intake Advice

I am interested in purchasing a Tripower Aluminum Intake for my 68 FB. I see them available on the internet for around $400. Before I plop down 4 bills for one I'd like to know how they have held up over time. Any warp, leakage, cracking issues? Any success or failure stories or advice on where to go for more information would really be appreciated. This is a street/show car with a slightly worked 400 engine (375HP) that is driven on sunny days. Thanks

Old 04-09-2006, 01:20 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Not sure which manifold you're asking about. The only aluminum Tri-Power made by Pontiac was the over-the-parts-counter '61 SD. I've had mine since '61- no problems with it. Over the years, there have been some aftermarket 3-2 manifolds for Pontiac (Offenhauser, and ??), but they weren't really copies of Pontiac Tri-Power design- I believe the Offy was a single-plane design. In recent years, a new aftermarket manifold has been offered, I think by our forum host, Performance Years (?). If you search these archives, you'll find some discussion of the new manifold.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jack, the manifold he is talking about is the 66 Tri-Power manifold REPOP made in aluminum. I have one from the first run and it is an outstanding reproduction. I received an e-mail from Steve yesterday and he expects he will have the latest run of the manifolds this week. I think they will be cheaper this time around, maybe around $350.00 each. Check with Chris at Performance Years, he can give you the new price.

Old 04-09-2006, 07:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I run one from the first batch, very pleased. Bit of trivia, they were all date coded MrP-Bodys birthday, send it to him for porting, he does great work -Jim

Old 04-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am also getting one from this batch.

How much benefit can be had by porting these things? I was going to match them to a RA IV intake gasket to match my incoming KREs (I don't want to cut on my original one). Is there more meat in the runners that can be removed for better flow?

Jim, IIRC, you had MrP do some work on your carbs too. Worth the effort?

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 04-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Boost Engineer

I will need to get a couple more of them. Robert, please PM me. Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom, PM sent, thanks.

Old 04-09-2006, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I made several changes along with the carb changes, so hard to say. Went from high 12's to low 12's and now 11's. But I will say this, the venturis are beautiful! Has to move more air. I think maybe some super secret circle track tricks were used, MrP would be better to ask. BTW, the month and day are the same as MrP's birthday, not the year. Another bit of trivia, the intakes are marked CM instead of GM. I need to post some pics, mine is painted and to the average eye it looks just like the cast iron 66. I plan to keep running the Tripower, mainly because many people say they will not perform. I am sure mid elevens are possible. We shall see. -Jim