Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Coating on doug's headers?

Anybody used the as-coated doug's headers? I'd rather get bare ones and have them coated but they are the same $ coated from Doug's as uncoated.

May try Mad Dog for bare headers but I've heard so many good things about the fit of the Doug's round port in the 64-67 a-body chassis.

Anybody used mad dog in a 4-speed 65 goat w/round ports?

Old 03-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much
Anybody used the as-coated doug's headers? I'd rather get bare ones and have them coated but they are the same $ coated from Doug's as uncoated.

May try Mad Dog for bare headers but I've heard so many good things about the fit of the Doug's round port in the 64-67 a-body chassis.

Anybody used mad dog in a 4-speed 65 goat w/round ports?
I can't answer all your questions but I have used Doug's headers as received with the nickel coating. After firing the engine the coating dulls. If the headers ever get hot enough the coat will start to peel.

Personally when spending that much money on headers, I'd buy 'em bare and have 'em coated. I've used Air-born coatings and they don't charge extra to strip the nickel.

No complaints on the Dougs as far as fit, from what I've seen.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Senior Chief

ditto the last post, i bought mine coated, it dulled severely, so i took the time out to beat them a little here and there, and then i had them re-coated, they look beautiful now, i would buy uncoated if i had it to do over again.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:00 PM

Default JUST PAINT THEM BLACK

I have a set of Doug's in my 66 GTO. We are in the build process so the engine has not been fired yet - we are one month away. Having had coated headers before, and seeing some others who have coated headers and see the coating get chipped after awhile, I did not get mine coated. I just sprayed on (don't laugh - I know many who have done the same thing) black BBQ paint. In a 66 GTO the headers are pretty much buried so I did not want to spend the extra $$$ on coating something that you can't really see. I kow they say they run cooler, etc. Only thing with the headers is that you need to follow the directions when installing them - put the nuts/bolts in the order they tell you. Also, had to lift the motor a couple inches to get them in. Main bumer, and this would have happened with any headers I am sure, is I have to relocate the passenger side front brake line as it virtually touches the header in 2 places.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:21 PM

Default Dougs headers

I RUNNING A NEW PAIR OF CERAMIC COATED DOUGS ON MY 462/ TRANS AM.. NEW MOTOR HAS OVER 300 MILES, NOT ONE BIT OF DISCOLORATION..AND THEY LOOK SWEET.GET LOTS OF COMPLIMENTS ON THEM..

Old 03-26-2006, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeez, I figured the coating wasn't that good to be worth paying extra for, but I didn't think it was so bad it wasn't worth taking for free!

Doug's catalog says they're not using the same stuff they used to, now it's "MCTBC". Did you guys have the new ones? The new ones are polished and old ones were flat silver.

Who did you use for the new coating, while I've got your attention?

Old 03-26-2006, 10:34 PM

Default DOUGS HEADERS

THE HEADERS I BOUGHT WERE COATED BY DOUG, AND YES THEY WERE POLISHED..

Old 03-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought a set of dougs round ports for 67-69 firebird. Real easy to install but wont clear manual steering box. They are only available coated for my aplication. I dont care much about coating but for $600 I dont think its a best coating. They get scrathes just by looking at them.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:11 AM
Senior Chief

I bought Dougs for my 66 GTO build out with a 455. I got them about 18 months ago. When I got them they were so pretty it was like looking in a mirror. Now they are really dull and faded, and I only have about 200 miles on them. As for the fit, I had fits stuffing them in. I had to remove the starter and let it dangle, while I hoisted the engine up 2" with the cherry picker to get them in. They don't hit the frame or steering column but were nasty to get in. If I had to do again I would buy bare and send them out for coating. Good luck with your project.

Joe

Old 03-27-2006, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a set of Doug's. They have a paint type coating, they were the uncoated version when I bought them. They have now switched to a ceramic coating on all they sell which is just like jet hot or HPC. I think maybe a couple guys are confusing Doug Thorley nickel coated headers with Doug's headers.JMO

Old 03-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had a set of the old H-O Racing tri-Y headers nickel plated about 10 years ago. Yes, they get a bit dull looking, but they also turn nice shades of blue and yellow as you go down the pipes. I think it's a nice serious business-like look. They've never rusted and it's a relatively cheap process: I paid $40 to get both headers plated. Any chrome shop can do it, as it's the intermediate step in chrome plating.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We recommend to all, buy your headers "uncoated" and send them to a coating company. We use Thermal Tech in Hopewell, Virginia. Not only are they fairly close (about 60 miles away), they are absolutely the best we've ever seen. After 5 years of circle track racing, the headers still look great, even the dirt track guys'.

Jet Hot and Swain are the other two we've seen anywhere near the level of quality.

Jim

Old 03-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Senior Chief

i bought a set of ceramic coated Dougs headers for my e-headed round port 69 bird about 4 years ago and they still look great, even though this is mainly a track car it still sees some street duty, I occasionally polish them up with some BUSH polish, but they have never scratched or dulled.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was thinking the new Doug's coating might be by Thermal Tech, but turns out that is not the case. You can go to Thermal Tech and get Doug's headers that they buy uncoated and then they coat with their own product.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Has anyone who knowingly bought a DOUG'S header that were CERAMIC COATED had these chip, dull, crack etc as described above? I am sure the coating that they put on them now is CERAMIC COATING. It will not dull fade crack chip etc. Nickel coatings do this, not ceramic. DOUG'S do not nickel plate, Doug Thorley's come that way.Big difference in headers.
The ones I bought are the flat silver and the coating is still on them. But again that is not a CERAMIC Coating.
If you buy a DOUG'S coated header it will be of the same quality as being bare and coated elsewhere IMO.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There is a guy here on the form that works at Summit, maybe he can set the story straight about the coating if he sees this post.

Old 03-27-2006, 09:50 PM

Default dougs headers

when i installed them on my 79 Trans AM, i had clerance problems, drivers side, lower "A" frame connection point .all over it.not only had to grind support structure but actually had to dent header pipe.took a brass hammer polished end and hammered away.yes they were ceramic coated , it did not "chip" or "crack"tough stuff.as far as that goes ,i think they are a solid product..