Old 03-24-2006, 11:49 PM

Default blinkers

When I use the turn signal the blinkers don't blink. I just put a new flasher in it and I hear it making noise so I think it is good. Is there anything else that might be the problem. Oh by the way all the lights come on. Are they little one one the front side supposed to blink as well? And the ones on the rear quarter? I feel like an idiot!

Last edited by aloha69gto; 03-24-2006 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:19 AM

Your front & rear marker lights should not blink. They should only be on when the light switch is on. Check the easy stuff first. Ensure that you have the correct bulbs. The rear tail light bulbs should be # 1157 (stamped or marked on the base of the bulb) - they are clear glass, with double contacts. The reverse light bulbs are single contact (can't remember the #).
The front bulbs are double contact (again, can't remember the #) almost the same as the rears but they should be amber.
If that all checks out, it would be a good idea to get a good wiring diagram, pick up an electrical multi-meter and start chasing it. I'm no expert, perhaps George or one of the other the electrical wizards could give you some further advice. Best of luck.
Ken

Old 03-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Suspended

Porcedure is in service manual for these vintage cars. Did you run through that first?

Old 03-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Senior Chief

Let me see if I can help a little.

Do your brake lights work???
if your brake lights work then you know the bulbs in rear of car are good.

turn your 4-way flashers on.. do they work???

I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there are 2 flashers for your car. one runs the 4-way flashers and one for the blinkers. So check them.

check this stuff and get back woth answers and we'll tell you where to go next..

I want my driveway to look like I'm stuck in the 70's!!!!
Old 03-25-2006, 11:30 PM

yep brake lights work. All marker lights work. Emergency flashers work. I just replaced the turn signal flasher which is on the circuit panel on the floorboard. When I turn them on they light up nice and bright they just dont flash. Thanks guys.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:54 PM
Senior Chief

so if you turn the 4 ways on ..all of the bulbs blink??

try swapping the two flashers and see if the 4-ways still work..that will tell you if the flasher is bad..

after that we'll have to go at the column parts

let us know.

one thing I might add...actually look at the bulbs to make sure they are blinking when the 4-ways are on..don't depend on the dash bulbs.

Old 03-26-2006, 06:55 PM

4 ways flash. Where are the flashers? I know one is on the floor. Which on is that? I might have changed the 4 way flasher which was already good.

Old 03-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Senior Chief

not sure on a 69..maybe someone with first hand experience will chime in...
If you changed the one in the fuse box, I think that is the 4 way..not sure though..look around under the dash for another one or a plug hanging that is missing one...

someone with a 69 help here please!!

turn the 4 ways on and unplug the one you changed and see if they quit....that will answer one question

Old 03-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The signal light flasher is under the dash, by the steering colum. It should held in a clip secured to something with on screw usually a bracket under there.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:12 PM

Hello aloha69,
One flasher is (as you said) on the fuse block on a '69, the other is under the dash, right beside the light switch - it's held there with a small horse shoe clip (just pulls out).
Ken

Old 03-27-2006, 10:18 PM

thanks guys the flasher was right where you said it would be. I did change the wrong flasher the first time. Works like a dream. Thanks for all your help everyone. ALOHA