Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Senior Chief

Question WIRING HARNESS INSTALLATION QUESTION

I need advise on replacing the dash , engine and forward lamp harness on a 68 A Body of mine. The car is all together and a nice driver, but I have been holding out to replace harnesses until I restore it. But we all know how that goes. I am planning on starting with the dash harness first and then moving forward. DOes that sound correct or is there an easier way. This is the first tome I have done a complete harness like this one. My last harness replacement was in 1989 formula 350 ten years ago. I hope this is easier.
Thanks again. James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO blasted 019.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	45442  

Old 03-12-2006, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

its gonna be fun if all together & perfect

Old 03-12-2006, 10:48 AM

Default Depends ....

First question would be why replace it. If everything works, leave it alone. If the covering is ugly, just replace that. If you really need a new harnesses, buy them from Ames or someone and they should be plug and play. If you are doing custom work, get a Painless harness. I am installing one now in a '66 that has custom dash and other stuff. The painless system is very user friendly. But, it is still a lot of work. It may be easiest, if your wiring is bad, to get the factory ready replacement and plug and chug.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to SGTGTO

Ditto what lastchance said. I did the painless system in my 68 GTO. The easiest way to do that is to pull out the old harness and fuse block. Use that as a template to get your length right. It is WAY easier to start from the block and work out. There isnt ANY room behind that dash to be wiring while it is still in the car.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

M&H wire harness out of California is an EXACT factory replacement with every wire, clip and connector factory perfect. You select your options the vehicle has such as gages, tach, power accessories, ect...They are not cheap but then again you get what you pay for, remove your existing one and reinstall with perfect fit ,function and confidence. These are the wire harness's that PY and Ames offer as well as a few others that sell high quality components.

Tim

Old 03-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ditto an M&H..It is a no hassle system and a perfect match

Old 03-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Senior Chief

Since it is not a Pontiac unlike my 70 GTO. I ordered it from M&H . What actually happened is when I was getting on the freeway I floored it and seconds later I smelled something get fried. ANd then when I pulled over the car would not shut off so I am assuming the ignition switch fried for the second time. It has had gremlins for quite some time in the harness area. I am thinking that the hei causes a power surge and has been frying things? SInce it is only good to 4k and I feel it go flat and then kick back in power and that is when the switch fried. My theory?

Old 03-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a dead short to me, call M&H and talk with a tech for they are very helpful and offer this service. Any old loose wires hanging behind the dash from prevsious radio, C.B. installs or removals,my friends 68 GTO had an old wire hanging back there from a 70's C.B. and this shorted out his one year only ignition switch (costly replacement !) Please report back with your findings. Tim