Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-22-2006, 05:25 PM

Default cam swap question

Can you (or is it wise) to put a new cam and lifters in one engine and then pull them out and put them in a second engine?

The reason i ask is that i have a POS engine in the car that i dont care if i blow up. More than that I would like to play with it (learn the hard way) while im building up a nice 428 (that i dont want to screw up). So im essentially slowly adding parts to the POS just to do some experimenting. (MSD distributor, headers, edelbrock carb and intake). then when the 428 is ready to go, ill just swap out that stuff onto it. Im just not sure about swapping internal parts. Thanks in advance.

Matt

Old 02-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My guess is no way. Wear patterns are going to get messed up etc even if you keep the lifters in the same bore etc. They would all have to be lined up how they wore in the other motor - and even then the bores are not all going to be the same either....scary!

Old 02-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So Chris what you are saying is you should never install a used cam and lifters?

Old 02-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran a solid cam with matched lifter from another motor...no problem. I may be the exception, not the rule. I'd just get a new cam if I were you. I ran mine for 40-50 passes, and am swapping it out now.

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 02-23-2006, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Why are you swapping it? Do you not like it, searching for more, or it isn't any good now?

Old 02-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think there is a risk, but I have done it with no problems. keep the lifters on the same lobes. I did put cam lub on the lifters and cam before starting it up.

just keep in mind it may not work and if it doesn't, as Chris knows, it sucks to fix.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:23 PM

The cam and lifters are brand new (sitting on shelf staring at me) I just wanted to throw them in the current (old and busted) motor just to see what happens. then put it in the motor im building when i get to that point.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you keep the lifters on the same lobes, it should be fine. Or you can just add new lifters when putting the cam in the other engine, but I wouldn't bother...