Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 01-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Best handling for early 2nd gen

Starting with WS6 springs, swaybars, and steering box, what have you guys heard of or used for 70-73's. I have a 71 Formula I am considering building a top end/corner carver out of. I have a few ideas of my own, but want to know what you guys think.

Old 01-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to Hawk397

I've got a coil-over kit on the front of my 71. (See Pic) I'm hoping that it will make a nice difference. Ride Ht and shock valving is adjustable as well. I also just read about Air Ride Technologie's new kit for 2nd gen F bodies - maybe in CarCraft??

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coilover.JPG
Views:	430
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	40637  

Old 01-29-2006, 06:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hawk, what brand of lower arm is that?

She woke up sunny side down and I was still thinking I was too proud to flip her over
Old 01-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1 1/4" front sway bar (on most TAs and Formulas),80s diesel S-10 springs, stock rear springs, rear sway bar 5/8" I think(plain TA not WS6). Bilsteins or Konis. Global's Del a lums as bushings in the A arms, their interlocking subframe bushings. Adjustable proportioning valve in the rear line for brakes, preferably 4 wheel discs. 255x50x16 tires wil fit on 89 GTA wheels which are light and repop'd by Classic.

The new coil overs look pretty neat too. There is also a company making a new front subframe to take all the new Vette hardware.

Old 01-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Checkout the link below, these are the control arms and the coil overs are QA-1's.

Mark

http://www.heidts.com/heip40.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick
Hawk, what brand of lower arm is that?

Old 01-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm using the following with stock springs (for now) :

- Herb Adams 1-5/16" chromoly front sway bar with spherical rod end links and Energy Suspension greaseable polyurethane mounts
- Hellwig 1" chromoly rear sway bar with polyurethane bushings
- Energy Suspension polyurethane leaf spring mount pads
- Koni shocks

Modifications in the works:

- Vette Brakes and Products front transverse fiberglass mono spring
- Vette Brakes tubular control arms
- Global West solid Del-a-lum control arm bushings
- Global West offset control arm shafts
- 2" drop spindles
- Moog ball joints
- Fiberglass rear leaf springs (with 2" drop) with Global West Del-a-lum bushings
- Global West subframe connectors
- Pro-Touring solid aluminum body mounts

Future modifications:

- Rear disk brakes
- Rack and pinion steering

Last edited by TransAm525; 01-30-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is there a rack and pinion kit out there or are you looking to fab up your own.

Thanks,
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAm525
I'm using the following with stock springs (for now) :

- Rear disk brakes
- Rack and pinion steering

Old 01-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Best handling? Buy a new subframe with Corvette front suspension and rack and pinion. Won't be cheap but it will be the best handling.

Old 01-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's something I will have to fabricate on my own. Who knows, someone might have a kit available by the time I reach the point in the project where I'm ready for the rack and pinion.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default My "Formula"

HO Racing springs up front.
HO Racing front and rear sway bars... 33% stiffer than WS6 stuff.
(I think Ken still has them...)
PST Poly-eurathane bushings everywhere.
Koni Red shocks all around.

Rides and handles great with Rally IIs and 235/60/15 fronts
and 275/60/15 rears!

Future mods... (someday)

18x8 fronts 255/40/18s with 4.5"bs
18x10 rears 295/35/18s with 5.5"bs

... and big 13"/12" discs all around.

I'd start another thread and ask Ken Crocie to chime in!

V/R,
Ty

Old 01-30-2006, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You have to consider what handling characteristics you're after. If you stiffen up one end of the car disporportionately to the other, you will change the handling balance, possibly adversely. Stock, non-ws6 cars had mild understeer, ws6 were pretty neutral with very slight understeer. If you significantly stiffen the front without worrying about the rear (like most solutions offered here suggest), you'll step into moderate to heavy understeer. If that is what you like or you don't plan to really push the car to the limits where you'd have to worry about that, then go for it. If not and you're worried about the car actually being fast on a road course, I'd suggest a bit stiffer front spring (cut a/c springs will lower and stiffen it if you're after both, and will probably be sufficient if the front is lightened at all) with the stock front bar and polygraphite bushings and possibly solid body/core support bushings, good shocks (adjustable if you want to tune it) and then concentrate on stiffening the rear up. The solid or del-alum rear spring bushings, ws6 rear springs minimum with a larger rear bar (I went 1") should bring the balance to neutral if not give a slight amount of oversteer (which is what I personally prefer). I would also go with sfc's regardless of what you do.

You may want to consider going with rubber bushings in the front of the rear springs and solid in the rear to reduce ride harshness, but if you're going solid body bushings all the way around it won't matter much anyway.

I think the only thing the vette front suspension would do is provide the better rack and pinion steering, other than that there's nothing special in it besides perhaps some lighter components (which could easily and much more cheaply be put on the stock suspension) and perhaps reduced deflection. If the geometry is the same, it won't really improve the handling, and the 2nd gens had pretty good front end geometry as they were.

Old 01-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Im building a top end car, like open road race type ie Sandhills Open in Nebraska, and Silver State in Nevada, if they still have it in Nevada. It could possibly see some open track time, be street legal but comfort isnt the main concern. Its not my daily driver by any means. The 98 Formula works good for that.

I want to dial in alot of caster, 3 degrees or more, and have neutral balance, or close to it, maybe a small amount of understeer. Stiffness doesnt matter, its not a daily driver and I would put up with alot when driving it. It will get all sold subframe mounts, connectors, and a 10pt cage at the least. Its gotta be able to turn at high speed and low speed, run as fast as I can get it and hold together at that speed. The brakes will be upgraded from the stock 4 wheel disc, but it will still be a manual MC, no power due to the engine its getting. 17" wheels are the largest I want to run.

It will get some aero mods, butnothing really really out there. Simple things like removed outside mirrors, partial belly pan, etc. I know the grille will catch alot of air. A 79-81 would be a better front end, but I like the 71 I have. It will be lightend considerably, no heater, no radio, and the only power option will be steering because I want to keep the WS6 box, or get a later G body box with constant 12:1.

From there its pretty much wide open, and while I can buy alot of parts for it, I have a large cache of extras I am building it from.

Kens ideas would be most welcome on this.
Since I been toyin with the idea of a blow through system, the front end will be lightened as much as I can to offset the weight of the blower. Still undecided on what stroke to run, I have a choice of 400, 4.21" stroked 400 block, and if I can find a 4" crank I could run a 428-440, and of course a 474 from an "experienced" 455 block I have. Power is another thread, here I wanted to get some ideas for making it turn even better than my other WS6 cars, brain matter oozing past my ears type cornering.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:01 AM

Sounds like an interesting project! So you plan on running one of those open road events?

One of the things you will need to consider is how your high speed handling is going to be which involves the aero. Second gens as most american cars that vintage have a lot of high speed front end lift. I think Herb Adams use to say about 200lbs of lift at 100Mph. This has to do with all that air that goes under the car and through the front end and then under the car.

You could also be producing some rear down force with the factory spoiler so that will create alot of high speed understeer which will not install a lot of confidence. You want to have some high speed understeer since that is a lot safer than high speed oversteer but without some aero mods you will have to much.

I think the safe bet would be to set up the car for a little mechanical understeer for the low speed corners and tune the aero around that for the high speed corners.

When I hillclimb my car and I made a splitter for the front end and run a rear spolier extension. This works well for me and most the pony cars at those events are doing some thing along that line. The speeds are a little over 100Mph and corners at 70Mph so you might be at higher speeds.

I recommend this book: Competition Car Downforce by Simon McBeath, ISBN 1859606628. This is a great book with lots of real world ideas.