Old 12-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Senior Chief

Default Shaker Scoop Power Feed

Does anyone have a wiring diagram that shows how the carburetor switch on a '71 T/A gets power for the shaker scoop solenoids? I've got a new wiring harness for the car that has 2 possible terminals, but neither has power while the engine is running. Anyone have a clue?

Old 12-07-2005, 10:46 PM
Senior Chief

I just got a new reproduction harness for my 71 T/A and it is missing the orange wire that feeds power to one side of the switch.The wire should be in the wrapped wire harness that goes from the back of the block on the drivers side to the front for the altenator and down the front and back to the starter solenoid.
Unfortuninently some repo harnesses do not have the wire for the shaker switch.The two connectors that do not have power are for the idle solenoid for an A/C car and for a electric vacume switch for 325 hp 455 engine polution control I believe.The 455HO usually did not come that switch.What I did was ran a new orange wire in the harness to the switch and back to the firewall ,through a small hole and to a ignition controlled accessary stackon on the fuse panel.Just make sure you use one that is feed by a 25 amp fuse.The solenoids draw a lot of current when they actuate and will blow 20 amp or lower fuses.

Old 12-08-2005, 12:04 AM

Not sure if this will help but here is an article with pictures that you can click on to enlarge.
http://highperformancepontiac.com/tech/0407pon_shaker/

Old 12-08-2005, 05:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you buy a harness for a Trans Am? I got a new engine harness from M & H Electric Fabricators and it was an exact match to the original fried, crispy harness that was on the car.

The shaker solenoid switch harness plugs into a single terminal Packard 56-series connector that breaks out of the engine harness next to the carburator. There is also a second connector with a rubber boot which is for the idle stop solenoid on manual trans and A/C equipped cars.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Senior Chief

What was the part number for your M&H harness? Mine was ordered through AMES and is their part number FM15985. It was for a 1971 V8 with Ram Air and without A/C. The M&H number is just 15985. The only thing I had to change when installing the harness was to remove the yellow wire to the new Hi-Torq starter (doesn't need it- only uses 2 terminals). I can't really tell the colors to the two terminals I spoke of earlier, but the one with the rubber boot is the closest to the front of the engine and looks like it was for the idle stop soleniod.