Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-12-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Any experience with Hotchkis suspension ?

I bought but haven't installed the Hotchkis performance suspension kit, and the Hotchkis front disc brake/control arm and spindle upgrade. Anyone installed this and have experienced it? Ride quality? Straight line tracking? What about suggested wheel/tire sizes?

Thanks in advance for your comments

Jay B

Old 10-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have an A body, it is great stuff. You will like the ride, handling, and stability. Get some KYB Gas-a-just shocks and you will have a great car.

This is really the wrong forum though.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINA 66
I bought but haven't installed the Hotchkis performance suspension kit, and the Hotchkis front disc brake/control arm and spindle upgrade. Anyone installed this and have experienced it? Ride quality? Straight line tracking? What about suggested wheel/tire sizes?

Thanks in advance for your comments

Jay B
I've got their front upper control arms with F body spindles on my '66. Other than having to have an F body ball joint turned to fit the A body lower, they have no major issues. The car tracks straight, and is a pleasure to drive and stop with the discs. I could only get a 225-60-15 in the well, but could probably go bogger with another 1/4" of backspacing. The 235's I had rubbed the fender on the outside of the tire when turning.

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 10-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a f-body spindle swap & full Htochkis setup on a 71 A-body, and I like it too. Couple things though, first, the upper a-arms with the poly bushings under load distort the bushing and move around, but usually only in extreme conditions. For me, it is noticable. Second, the front springs are a little soft, and you'll bottom over dips at speed. As for tires/wheels, I have 17x8s up front with a '0' offset, and 255/40/17, and on the rear I have 17x9s, with a 4.5 backspace (if memory servers me correct), and am running a 275/40/17. I can get a 295 on the back no problem, just becomes an issue of tire availablity. Also, if your going to go through the trouble to do the labor, try to swing the Global West tubular lowers, you'll be glad you did...

Old 10-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

I'm using their front sway bar, boxed rear trailing arms, rear sway bar and adjustable upper arms. They improved the handling of my car immensely!

Old 10-13-2005, 03:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Very Happy with hotchkiss Boxed rear suspension package. I added the optional hotchkiss 1 inch rear bar {FYI You must use a hotchkiss bar with the package}.
Car feels much better I also took the extra money and bought a set of Moog heavy duty rear springs. The ride hieght is PERFECT with them! I also want to say for those looking for less expensive shocks The NAPA SENSATRACKS work great. I had a set of KYB's and these have a much better ride IMO anyway for less money. Body roll is 100% less and thats with a stock front end and stock front sway bar. Hi speed lane changes dont make you feel scared anymore HHEHEHEH! Very happy! The car launches alot better and has great traction with the kit. Very nice and worth the 700$ bucks I paid {plus 150$ for the rear sway bar} I wouldnt hesitate to suggest this kit to anyone. If your a race spend the extra money { I did not because Im a set it and forget it guy} for the adjustable upper control arms. I know Its awsome with out them but some people like to have the ability to tune which is fine. I love it great kit and made a huge difference in my car!
Very good quality. I wont hesitate to reccomend thier products.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have hotchkis arms on the back of my 67 GTO. Totally eliminated the bad wheel hop problems I had. I also used the edelbrock no-hop bars with the adjustable hotchkis uppers. I was able to setup my pinion angle perfect that way. The hop stop bars change the instant center of the rear suspension and make it "lift" instead of squat. You can feel it and I get alot better traction now with my 4-speed car.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have the entire Hotchkis A-Body catalog under my 68 and love it. Also used Koni adjustable shocks all around. When I had to qualify for the Silver State run at Las Vegas speedway road course, I was keeping up with all the Vettes and Porsche's and Vipers.

TigerEFI.com (Classic Pontiac Fuel Injection)
2004 GTO Company car, 1994 TA 25th Anv, 1971 Grand Safari Wagon, 1968 GTO EFI, 1968 GTO Stock, 1968 GTO Convertible in desperate need of restoration.

Old 10-14-2005, 05:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Eventually I want to upgrade my shocks to edelbrocks or koni's. Kyb's are junk to me. I dont like the ride they give. I am much happier with the Napa sensatracks than the more expensive KYB's.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:26 PM

Anybody have experience with first gen f-body & Hotchkis

Old 10-15-2005, 08:08 AM

thanks for the feedback. Glad I asked, I'll go a different route with the shocks per BKarma

Old 10-16-2005, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just replaced adjustable Koni shocks on my 66 GTO for the IAS Edelbrock shocks. Great shocks. Noticably smoother ride & there is less 'thump' when the tyre hits a depression in the road. Worth every cent.