The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 08-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Opinions on rust and repair needed

I'm considering picking up this 71 Lemans but I'm kinda hesitant because of some of the body work that needs to be performed. I know 70-72 quarter patch panels are not available so it may cost me some bucks to get one fabricated or find a rust free piece. From this pic below, is this a no brainer repair for a body shop or is it more involved? Also, can rust bubbling from underneath typically be repaired or will this fender below need to be replaced. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	24524   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	24525  

Old 08-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That first picture of the front fender looks like the bottom half has been patched before, and the rust bubbling is along the joint where they patched it. In general, they don't look too bad to me, but I'm used to Minnesota cars that are ten times worse than that...

Old 08-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Senior Chief

That doesn't look too bad. How is the rest of the car (trunk wheel wells etc)? Looks like there may be some decay in the wells, those are a little trickier to patch due to the curvature.

My 69 Lemans was much worse...

Old 08-11-2005, 11:32 AM

I agree with Stuart. From the line extending from the bubble on the first picture it appears lower panel was patched in. Both look very repairable to me. Best approach in my opinion would be to use a wire wheel on a grinder to remove the bubbled rust/filler, then clean well by sandblasting and coating with a phosphoric acid based product. Then new filler can be installed.

Old 08-11-2005, 11:45 AM

I would jump on that one right away. Our Firebird was (still is) much worse than that. I do believe that there is a patch already on the fender. Blasting off and treating is a good idea. Hopefully there was not a lot of filler for the seam. Also try to thoroughly look at where the fender attaches to the frame. That area could be rusted out and is not always easy to see. Try to see further into the rocker panel area. My 442 has a very similar rust pattern and the rust carried into the fender attachment point only; the Firebird extended to the rocker panel.

later, Jon

Old 08-11-2005, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, you guys are making me feel a little better about this purchase now. Aasimone, the wheels well appeared solid, with just typical surface rust. Trunk and floor pans are solid from both sides. I didn't bring a magnet with me so it was hard to tell how much bondo/filler was there. Overall the car was in good shape. I'll also take a closer look at that rocker before handing over the money.
The right side quarter here looks a little better than the other side. I'm hoping this will be an affordable body and paint job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	24543  

Old 08-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Senior Chief

I think you already know what my answer would be.....

370 Posts and holding...