Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 08-08-2005, 01:47 AM

Question Polyurethane bushings

I am replacing the front springs in a 69 firebird...it was sagging and the car began to shimmy at 65 mph..

since I had to drop the lower control arm, should I replace the bushings? While I am in there, should I upgrade the remaining rubber parts as well?

has anyone had sucess with the polyurethane bushing? do they make a difference.

Is there any feedback from the following manufacturers

Energy Suspension
PST
Performance suspension

If I recall there has been som negative comment regarding pst or performance suspension regarding metal compontents that may have been imported from china...

any feeedback would be welcomed.

Old 08-08-2005, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you search the forums, the only negative comments you'll probably find is toward pst. I think they sell the "made in china" stuff. However you'll find some that have had very good experience with their stuff.

PSC I think sells the Energy Susspension stuff, so they are one in the same.

I cannot personnaly comment on the performance of any of them because my front end is in about 50 peices right now. I'll probably get the energy susspension bushings. I think that jegs, summit and others also sell them.

I think you should consider replacing them, you are already most of the way there anyway. But these things seem to snowball and you have the draw the line somewhere.

Good luck,
jamie

Old 08-08-2005, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

support your local auto part store, they can get you what you need and you get to see what you are buying first, as for poly bushings they are junk doesn't matter the brand poly just is the wrong material to use in a hi load and friction application , so use rubber

Old 08-08-2005, 09:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

when I got my 67 Bird I rebuilt the entire suspension setup. I replaced every thing from tie rods to rear multi leaf springs(it had mono). I got the whole setup from PST and have no complants what so ever. The car handles so much better now. I used their Polygraphite kit. It's been almost three years and still no squeaks.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcfbd
when I got my 67 Bird I rebuilt the entire suspension setup. I replaced every thing from tie rods to rear multi leaf springs(it had mono). I got the whole setup from PST and have no complants what so ever. The car handles so much better now. I used their Polygraphite kit. It's been almost three years and still no squeaks.
Agree, I used the front end kit from PST. Quality was good, no issues on my car at al. I was happy with the products.....

Brad

Old 08-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have installed a complete Energy Suspension kit in my '69 Firebird convertible...front, back and body bushings. I also installed new heavy duty front and rear anti-sway bars. The car rides very firm but handles great. I bought most of the suspension parts from Performance Suspension in Arizona. There is a Pontiac guy there...I think his name is Frank. Bob at Casual Restorations in Hatfield, PA. did the install.

http://www.performancesuspension.com/

'73 Ventura, Spotts 462 roller
10.785 @ 122.79, 1.507 60 ft
2850 lbs. plus driver, 3150 race weight

'69 Firebird Convertible, Spotts 455 with long branches
12.561 @ 107.62, best on old 455
4290 race weight

'72 Formula 455 HO
numbers matching auto, work in progress!
Old 08-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

well I don't want to sound like an a$$ here but I'm trying to explain something to all our our Pontiac friends here I have years of experience and many miles with poly bushings ( because early on I fell for the hype also) and they will not last long and that little pack of grease they give won't help for long, understand that I'm only trying to help but I feel that poeple try to justify a product just because they bought it so it must be good.
If you want performance bushings get GW del-a-lums or solid steel

Old 08-10-2005, 08:45 AM

well its not to hard to see that ketchup packet of grease wouldnt be enough. ive seen them last forever when properly greased and maintained. i went to the napa and bought somemore and they should be installed today.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:17 AM
Senior Chief

i put polys in recently.

no idea how long they last - but i could not get the impression that they make that a big difference.

i say the effort to change them is quite high compared to just change the springs.

i say better check the joint balls and replace them if they are worn (which again is more effort than replacing the bushings). you cannot change them at a builtin lower control arm except you have this very special press for that.

this type of steering and suspension cannot feel different than it does: a bit spongy. it would take more than just harder bushings to correct the system like other steering gear and other geometry. but you can easy life with it.

my goat and my wife: both are beloved, both are reliable and both are expensive!
Old 08-10-2005, 06:45 PM

very true mike. they make some difference but not at much as say new tubular a arms and springs and shocks. but the difference is there plus not much more than the stack rubber kits ive seen

Old 08-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Make sure you use the grease fittings and silicone grease for the squeaks. Im having a hard time finding silicone grease in a tube for a gun. Let me know where you guys found some!