Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 08-07-2005, 12:22 AM
On Vacation

Default coil spring install help

I did a search but the one article would not pull up that I really needed to read. I am trying to install front springs on my 67 Lemans and I cannot figure it out. I had the bottom seated on the lca but the top did not seat. I tried to force it to seat but it would'nt, maybe I did not have the spring compressed enough. I tried to do the top first but to no avail the bottom would not go on. I bought a spring compressor from advanced it comes with two and it has two hooks on the top and two on the bottom and you use a 1/2 in drive to turn them and it compressed the spring that way. Which way do I start first top or bottom? And does the spring have to almost be flat? Has anyone used that type of compressor before? I am lost. Should have had a pro do this. This is what happens when I try to learn myself. Oh, in case you were wondering, I am the poster formerly known as Hitman. New format new beginings.

Old 08-07-2005, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is the engine in the car?

Old 08-07-2005, 01:44 AM

lol... I spent the day removing the front spring from the 69 firebird.

I was using an inside spring compressor. Remove shock. The top goes (threaded rod end) in with the hooks down, the bottom with the hooks up, it took me a while to get them in the proper positon. I put the top in, then the bottom, and then threaded the rod.

Thread the rod from the bottom through the bottom shock mount and screw into the top. Compress the spring through the lower shock mount. Remove the stabilizer. Compress to release pressure from the lca. I put a hydraulic jack under the lca to reduce the tension.

With the firebird, you have to remove the lca bolts and drop the lca, now I am trying to figure out if I should replace the lca bushing. Dropping the lca was no picnic, the back hung up. With the firebird, you drop the lca, and pull the spring out.

btw.. the 69 pontiac service manual does not mention compressing the spring, the use a lca removal tool. I cannot imagine pulling the spring without compressing it. someone (like me) could get killed.

Old 08-07-2005, 08:21 AM
On Vacation

I see what I did wrong. I got the wrong type compressor for what I need. I see autozone has the right one, I will do the loan a tool thing. With the right tools, life will be better. Mine looks like it would be used for struts.

Old 08-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hitman

I have done this on my 67 GTO. I got the tip from a search on this board. You need to get an INTERNAL spring compressor. It is kind of hard to describe but you basicall are only going to use one end of it. You put the hooks on one end of the spring and put the big bolt thru the shock hole. Then tighten the bolt which compresses the spring while holding it in place. You should be able to compress the spring enough to get the lower control arm in place using a floor jack. Then you jack up the jack until you can bolt up the spindle.

There is an excellent article on this board that describes this and has pictures!

Good luck!

Bob

Old 08-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hitman, you need the internal spring compressor, as mentioned. I think I understand what bobbyj1 is saying but lining up the coil to sit in the lca will be difficult.
Try this, 1-On a bench, compress the spring 2- with the spring adjusting nut facing DOWN, install the spring into the proper spot (if the lca will not reach the spindle because the spring is too long, take back to the bench and compress until it does fit) 3- lift the lca and attach to the spindle (I am assuming the uca is still attached to the spindle, no need to break the upper ball joint free) 4- while you are releasing the tension on the compressor, rotate the spring so is seats properly in the lca. Presto! You are done, now wiggle the hooks off the spring, install your shock, reattach your sway bar to the lca, and go to the other side.
Take your time, be careful, and don't try to force anything, it should go into place without a struggle. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

here's the thread that helped me...
http://216.178.81.108/forums/showthr...spring+install

david

Old 08-08-2005, 04:46 PM
On Vacation

Well, it is done. What a difference the right tool makes. Thanks guys for the insight. Cant wait to get it out on the road to see if it handles better. It sure sits up higher. It looks good except the driver side looks like it is lower. May just be me. Now I know why so many have mentioned having overload springs for the back. So air shocks should take care of that. Thanks again.