Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via MSN to fast72lemans
Question Intake questions????? lean in 1 cyl.

Anyone had or having a problem with #7 cylinder running lean with a Torker II, This is the second time I have had a problem with #7, all other cylinders look good, for right now I have jetted up in that corner but would like a better fix, possibly a different intake?????

Mark

Old 08-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Suspended

I have a 406, 9.5:1, ported 62's, 1 5/8 headers, 60916 cam, 1.65 roller rockers, Torker II with a 1/2" nitrous plate and 1/4" heat insulator on top of the nitrous plate. I have a Proform 750 jetted at 74/84 with a 6.5 power valve in front and blocked in the rear.

I have noticed that #7 plug looks a little leaner than the rest. With the above jetting, the rest are just a tad dark, and #7 perfect. I blew the head gasket twice (one felpro, and one cometic) between #5 and #7 with leaner secondaries, and 2 degrees more total advance. I backed the total down 2 degrees to 32, and I also set my MSD digital 6 to remove 8 degrees when the nitrous is activated. The engine runs unbelievable at all rpm's and throttle response is super crisp. This is the first time in 4 years since I built this motor that I am totally happy with the tune up.

Time to build another!

Old 08-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via MSN to fast72lemans

Thanks, that's the kind of info I need, now keep it coming.......any intakes better at fuel distribution in that cylinder????

Old 08-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to Lerry: The Body Ventura..

It seems too many things can fall into play here. Some cylinders just burn hotter or colder than others. No. 7 is a inner cylinder making it run hotter than the outers. Combustion chamber configuration might be slightly different. Slightly worn cam lobe. Valves/seats carboned up. Etc..

Old 08-05-2005, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Firing order along with an open mainfold and port design. Insert wink here.

And the reason turtles were cast. You can work on the port configuration with port work to increase the signal.
But check for a straight manifold first and no top of the port mismatch first. Radius the top of that port under the carb.
I had a open Pontiac mainfold that had the bolt boss over #2 drilled and half the hole was open to the port. Had to install a bolt washer to seal it.