Old 03-12-2005, 11:26 AM

I am replacing the engine in my '95 GA and I have the engine in the bay, but it needs to slide back about an inch (towards the firewall) and into place on the transmission and I can't seem to get it to fit. Any wise words of advice??

Old 03-12-2005, 11:26 AM

I am replacing the engine in my '95 GA and I have the engine in the bay, but it needs to slide back about an inch (towards the firewall) and into place on the transmission and I can't seem to get it to fit. Any wise words of advice??

Old 03-24-2005, 07:44 AM

Just curious how you made out... Hope the transplant went well. If you discovered anything in particular to help you here, I would be interested. I'm getting close to starting my engine swap, and will need any tips I can get!

Old 03-25-2005, 06:36 PM

I haven't been able to get the engine in. The engine will get in 9/10ths of the way, but it needs to go back towards the firewall about an inch and up about an inch and I can't get it to work. Sorry

Old 03-26-2005, 07:29 PM

Wow, that really sucks! I hope you can figure it out soon. I wish I could help you, but untill I get into mine, I don't have much to go by.

I recently purchased a set of GM service manuals, and was looking them over. Actaully doesn't seem to be that much info on the specifics of removal and replacement of engine, unless I am not looking in the right place... Need to get my head into it more, and get a hoist!

Old 04-03-2005, 12:25 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by m_iker2:
I haven't been able to get the engine in. The engine will get in 9/10ths of the way, but it needs to go back towards the firewall about an inch and up about an inch and I can't get it to work. Sorry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried tilting/pulling the trans. forward to get the two to align? I am noticing how much these assy. tilt, have mine all the way forward to get at the exhaust right now. Using a ratcheting tie-down strap...

Will be pulling mine soon, hope I can help you more! This sure is a PITA compared to pulling my Firebird motor!

Old 04-03-2005, 06:17 PM

I can't seem to get the engine in still. I've tried to tilt the transmission and push and pull it, but I still can't seem to get it in.

Old 04-03-2005, 07:36 PM

I can imagine your frustration... Wouldn't it be nice to have X-ray vision (and the strength) of Superman, and peer right through that engine/trans and see the problem!?! That is the hardest part of this so far for me, is not being able to see or reach the opposite end (or behind) the motor when I need to! Maybe I will be more help to you once I get mine out. Hopefully within the next few days. Have to round up a willing hoist now!

Old 04-11-2005, 09:57 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by m_iker2:
I can't seem to get the engine in still. I've tried to tilt the transmission and push and pull it, but I still can't seem to get it in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any luck with this yet? I got mine in this weekend, just have to fill it with coolant tonight, and ready to fire it up!

I did have a tough time getting it to slide into the mating pins on the bellhousing at the same time as dropping it into the mount on the lower Pass side of the engine. What I ended up doing was pulling the top of the trans forward as much as I could with a ratchet strap, and lifting the passenger side of the car up on a jackstand about 8-10 inches or so. With the front wheel off on that side you can see much more of what is going on with that mount down there.

I then put a floor jack under the trans with a board on it to lift that up a little (close to the position it is in when completed) otherwise it hangs down a ways. I had plenty of room in the firewall area, so I'm not sure why yours is tight there...

Old 04-11-2005, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the help there. I'll try some of that, but both front wheels are off and I tried to raise the transmission, but it didn't seem to help. Don't ask why. Just my luck. Anyway, thanks, that'll give me something else to try (pulling it forward).

Old 04-12-2005, 04:13 AM

Yes, there is quite a bit of travel there... I hooked one end of the strap to the bracket that holds the shift-cable, and the other end to the radiator core support. I had it pulled forward about as far as I could get it. Good luck!