Old 04-05-2005, 05:55 PM

Some of you from the OHC6 forum may recognize this, as it is a copy/paste from my thread there.

Cylinder #6 came out with the rings in pieces. the cylinder wall is scratched, too.

Option Number 1:
I can get a new set of rings for these pistons, put everything back together and try and run it.
Rings: $?.??
Gasket set: Roughly $120.00

Or

Option Number 2
I can bore it and do it correctly
Boil Block $90.00
Bore $150.00
R&R soft plugs $20.00
R&R Pistons $45.00
Pistons $?.??
Rings $?.??
Gasket set $120.00
extra costs $?.??

Or

Option Number 3
I can bore the damaged cylinder ONLY, get 1 Piston ONLY, and new set of rings for both the stock pistons and new set of rings for the 1 new piston
Boil Block $90.00
Bore $80.00
R&R soft plugs $20.00
R&R Piston $?.??
1 Piston $?.??
Rings set $?.??
New Piston Rings set$?.??
extra costs $?.??

Option Number 3 seems rediculous, but the machine shop owner just threw it out there as a do-able option. Due to a very tight budget, I am itching to go with number 1, but I KNOW that this is incorrect and I am risking having to fix it again and again and again....

I've included these pictures. hopefully I can get some advice, as I have minimal experience here. I want to keep this engine running and not put in a V8.

In the middle picture, I have highlighted in RED the area that is grooved in and can be felt with the finger. The rest of the line is just visual blemish.

Old 04-05-2005, 05:55 PM

Some of you from the OHC6 forum may recognize this, as it is a copy/paste from my thread there.

Cylinder #6 came out with the rings in pieces. the cylinder wall is scratched, too.

Option Number 1:
I can get a new set of rings for these pistons, put everything back together and try and run it.
Rings: $?.??
Gasket set: Roughly $120.00

Or

Option Number 2
I can bore it and do it correctly
Boil Block $90.00
Bore $150.00
R&R soft plugs $20.00
R&R Pistons $45.00
Pistons $?.??
Rings $?.??
Gasket set $120.00
extra costs $?.??

Or

Option Number 3
I can bore the damaged cylinder ONLY, get 1 Piston ONLY, and new set of rings for both the stock pistons and new set of rings for the 1 new piston
Boil Block $90.00
Bore $80.00
R&R soft plugs $20.00
R&R Piston $?.??
1 Piston $?.??
Rings set $?.??
New Piston Rings set$?.??
extra costs $?.??

Option Number 3 seems rediculous, but the machine shop owner just threw it out there as a do-able option. Due to a very tight budget, I am itching to go with number 1, but I KNOW that this is incorrect and I am risking having to fix it again and again and again....

I've included these pictures. hopefully I can get some advice, as I have minimal experience here. I want to keep this engine running and not put in a V8.

In the middle picture, I have highlighted in RED the area that is grooved in and can be felt with the finger. The rest of the line is just visual blemish.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:49 PM
"Teacher

Send a message via MSN to

Do it right,anything else will leave you wondering.Besides, you already have the engine apart.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agreed. When I was in high school, my dad and I did the engine in my car on a shoestring ($500 for the whole thing!). We cut corners everywhere. Cheap parts, cheap machining, sloppy assembly, you name it. It ended up biting me about a year later when several of the bearings spun. Did I learn? No. I proceeded to cheap out on the following rebuild which immediately resulted in a blown head gasket.

The third time I had a reliable machine shop take care of things properly instead of cutting corners. It cost me a fair amount, but it was less than what I spent "rebuilding" the engine the two prior times. 6 years later it's still going strong.

It may seem expensive, but you'll pay more in the long run if you cut corners. I'm assuming it isn't your daily driver so if you don't have the funds right now, save up a little bit to rebuild the engine properly. You won't regret it.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 04-08-2005, 06:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have one of these engines to get rid of ..cheap! $200 bucks and she's yours. Must arrange pick-up, but I'll work with you on that. Thanx. Ron 740-852-1742

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.