Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-16-2003, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Guys,
Here's another one for ya. In a hi performance street strip set up, does it make any difference if you hook up the vacuum advance or not? I've been running without it hooked up.The distributor has some light weight springs and the total, 34* is in by 2,800. Stall is 3000 on the converter. The engine runs great. 11.40's with sportsman pro's.

Old 05-16-2003, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Guys,
Here's another one for ya. In a hi performance street strip set up, does it make any difference if you hook up the vacuum advance or not? I've been running without it hooked up.The distributor has some light weight springs and the total, 34* is in by 2,800. Stall is 3000 on the converter. The engine runs great. 11.40's with sportsman pro's.

Old 05-16-2003, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My distributor was setup similar to yours in my daily driven 455. It ran fine and got decent gas mileage. Never ran the vacuum advance.

Old 05-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had trouble running a large cam (low vacuum) and a vacuum advance. The cannister didn't know what to do because of the vacuum instability. Since my car did not run hot I just left the vacuum advance off.

http://www.jimspontiac.homestead.com/Index.html

Old 05-16-2003, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Brian and Jim,
Thanks for the info. I'm removing the vacuum module so I'll just drill a hole through the plate and distributor base and bolt the plate stationary. Thanks again. Hey Jim, Your car looked great at PONTIAC HEAVEN. Dil Brandow

Old 05-16-2003, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the compiment Dil. You should have come by and said hi at Speedworld. I know I was flogging on the car due to the ignition issues, but I still like to meet as many Pontiacers as I can.

Old 05-16-2003, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Jim,
We actually met a lONG time ago I think at a PDD event. And if my poor memory serves me right, I think you bought my polished Nash some years back. Have you ever run that intake?

Old 05-16-2003, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes I still have the intake, and no, I have not been able to run it. I am still running the Victor. The Victor has a pedestal on it to mount a bracket for the throttle cable. The Nash doesn't have that, and I haven't felt like changing the implementation. If the Nash is better, I believe it would be in the mid-range. I already have marginal traction using a trans brake and a 4200-stall converter, so IF the Nash were better it would just aggravate this problem. I also believe the Victor would make more top end power, so I haven't been too motivated to try the Nash. Do you have any direct comparisons of the two manifolds?

Old 05-16-2003, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim,
The only thing that I have heard is that a modified Nash is about equal to a stock Victor. Bummer! But you never know until you try it on your combination. I'm looking forward to bringing the new BLOWN set up to Palmdale. Not to set any records or anything, but just to have some fun. I think I could have made the car faster with the Wenzler stuff.

Old 05-16-2003, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Supergas,
Although it won't make any difference under heavy throttle applications, the right one will make a noticeable difference in part throttle STREET operation. I mean that there will be a bigger difference in throttle response under light load conditions (crisper).

Now the trick is, is to get the right one for your application. I, personally don't care for the adjustable ones. The fixed type are better in my opinion. What you need to do is take some vac readings at idle and cruise. with htese numbers you can select a vac adv that will better work with what you actually have. Just slapping one on ther will cause more problems than you want. Thes vac adv cannisters all have different operational parameters. I mean where they start and finish... the trick is to find one that matches your vac readings and will work for you not against you. If you want to try one e-mail me. These things are very hard to get right, so you have to approach it from a numbers standpoint. Not all the time can you find one that will work, but I'm willing to try.

Old 05-17-2003, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Skype™ to RPM

Sun Tuned, what is it you find with the adjustable vacuum advance cannisters that make you want to stick to the non-adjustable type?

67 GTO, 428, Q-Jet, TH400, 3.42, 12.50/107.5, whisper quiet
67 GTO, 400, Q-Jet, M20, 3.23, 14.02/98.7, loud & obnoxious

Old 05-18-2003, 05:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The idea is a swell one, but all the ones I've dealt with must be cheaply assembled. They have all tended to creep and not hold adjustment over a lond period of time. Also 3 have developed a "catch" in them. They will move under vacuum and then all of a sudden jerk violently and dump the rest of the advance on all at once, definitely not what you want. Smoother the better. Most were designed to be used on cars with operable EGR and usually, although they have enough range of adjustment as far as the number of degrees advance is concerned, they do not have enough range on the start and finish part. What I mean by that is...they do not have enough adjustment as to where they start in relation to vacuum in. hg. (vacuum reading). Most are close, but in my opinion "close" only counts in Atomic Bombs and Hand Grenades. Plus on some to limit the total amount of degrees you got to (like the Crane unit) use the little notched plate that comes with it. These are pretty decent, but you still have to rely on the spring inside to have the right stiffness. On the rest you get into this nonsense of, if the allen adjustment won't allow the right amount of degrees, then you get to cut, grind, weld, glue, all this kind of rubbish on the thing. If there is no other choice then swell, you may have no other choice, but to do that. But since thats not the only choice I have then I like to get the right one to start with and eliminate all that extra work.

The factory Chrysler and Ford adjustables had the allen screw method to adjust theirs. Although some say the design is the same as the aftermarket, you gotta wonder if the parts inside are better quality...cause the factory ones don't act up like the aftermarket ones do. Probably why the factory stuff costs like hell too, but by-crackey they work. Probably something to do with that warranty period and all. I just think the factory adjustable stuff was designed better. And as long as were talking about GM stuff as long as i can get the fixed type of advances with the right parameters...I'll use them every time hands down. You don't have to use Delco brand, Niehoff, Standard, and Wells are fine.

Old 05-19-2003, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Skype™ to RPM

Thanks!

67 GTO, 428, Q-Jet, TH400, 3.42, 12.50/107.5, whisper quiet
67 GTO, 400, Q-Jet, M20, 3.23, 14.02/98.7, loud & obnoxious

Old 05-19-2003, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That would depend on the converter right?

OMT has a 4,200 stall; I can't see a vacuum advance providing any benefit with that much stall. I have an 8" stall that flashes to 5,000 and because of this, I don't run a vacuum advance on the street either.

And yes, I do street driveā€¦..or at least my definition of street driving!

Tempest455
http://www.wauknet.com/douthitt/