Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-31-2005, 12:25 PM

I have a 76 400 with the three t!t rear rubber seal. I know there are three diffrent kind off oil pans and gaskets. I have heard people say that the cork one that pontiac started with is the best. My question is do you need to change the oil pan to use the cork gasket or can you use a pan with three or the five t!t style

Old 05-31-2005, 12:25 PM

I have a 76 400 with the three t!t rear rubber seal. I know there are three diffrent kind off oil pans and gaskets. I have heard people say that the cork one that pontiac started with is the best. My question is do you need to change the oil pan to use the cork gasket or can you use a pan with three or the five t!t style

Old 05-31-2005, 01:17 PM
Senior Chief

You do not have to switch oil pans.

I have one with 3 slits and I use the cork gasket no problem.

Some people say I have A.D.D., but they don't know what they're talk ... hey look, a chicken!
Old 05-31-2005, 01:20 PM
Senior Chief

You can use the cork with any pan. BUT, caps for the rubber seal pans don't have the groove for the cork to locate in.
The cork goes right along the edge of the "window" in the cap. Prick punch the cap and use weatherstrip adhesive to locate the cork. Put the pan on temporarily with the twio rear bolts to hold the cork in place while the adhesive sets up.
Then remove pan and put a small amount of silicone along the pan side of the cork and reinstall pan. Works like a charm.