Old 09-20-2000, 01:18 PM

I have a 67 GTO convertible, but I think my problem applies to most GM A-Body cars of this era. The sun visors are very loose where they are attached to the support arm at the top of the windshield. Upon further investigation I noticed 2 problems. The first is the plastic sleeve that goes around the pin on the visor was gone. I'm sure that I can get replacements for these. The second problem appears to be a bigger one. The chrome "clamp" that the visor mounts into is cracked all the way across. It appears that a previous owner over-tightened the screw that applies pressure to the visor pin (probably in an attempt to tighten the visor after the plastic sleeve was worn out). This appears to be made from a potmetal that can't be welded, especially at this stress point. I have tried to find repro parts but have not been able to locate any. This entire striker assembly is unique for a convertible since the convertible top J-screw attaches to it. My question is 3 parts. (1) Does anyone know if this part can be repaired or if it will work in its current broken state when I replace the plastic sleeves? (2) Is this part unique to a GTO or did other Pontiac and/or GM products use the same part? (According to the restoration guide, the sunshade support part numbers were 4548356 [RH] and 4548357 [LH].) (3) How is the sun visor pivoting support removed from the rest of the striker assembly (there are not any set screws or bolts)?

Old 09-20-2000, 01:18 PM

I have a 67 GTO convertible, but I think my problem applies to most GM A-Body cars of this era. The sun visors are very loose where they are attached to the support arm at the top of the windshield. Upon further investigation I noticed 2 problems. The first is the plastic sleeve that goes around the pin on the visor was gone. I'm sure that I can get replacements for these. The second problem appears to be a bigger one. The chrome "clamp" that the visor mounts into is cracked all the way across. It appears that a previous owner over-tightened the screw that applies pressure to the visor pin (probably in an attempt to tighten the visor after the plastic sleeve was worn out). This appears to be made from a potmetal that can't be welded, especially at this stress point. I have tried to find repro parts but have not been able to locate any. This entire striker assembly is unique for a convertible since the convertible top J-screw attaches to it. My question is 3 parts. (1) Does anyone know if this part can be repaired or if it will work in its current broken state when I replace the plastic sleeves? (2) Is this part unique to a GTO or did other Pontiac and/or GM products use the same part? (According to the restoration guide, the sunshade support part numbers were 4548356 [RH] and 4548357 [LH].) (3) How is the sun visor pivoting support removed from the rest of the striker assembly (there are not any set screws or bolts)?

Old 09-20-2000, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Your problem is somewhat common. There are no repro's available for that convertible sunvisor support. You may try and contact a couple of "pot metal" restorers to see if they can repair the crack. It will need to be repaired or replaced in order for the sunvisor to stay up. If you need to find another support...they are the same for 66-67 ALL A-body GM cars. Finally, I'm pretty sure there are chome phillips head screws that hold that thing on.

Old 09-20-2000, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the input, even though it was not the news I wanted to hear. There are chrome phillips head screws that hold the bracket to the upper windshield support, but I can't figure out how the swivel arm that supports the visor is attached to the bracket. The only thing that I can come up with is that it is pressed on somehow.

Old 09-20-2000, 04:35 PM

Unfortunately you are again correct, they are indeed pressed in, I actually found a set of used visor brackets that were not cracked but were pitted for $50.00 and a guy in my town that does zinc alloy plating for a $100.00 the pair , so mine are as new but still cost's $150.00 to get them in nice shape. you might check with the parts forum to see if anyone has a set.