Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 01-20-2001, 11:39 PM

need to cut some wieght from the front of a 78 ta bracket racer any help on lighter brakes and calipers control arms . already have light steering stripped sheet metal bumpers core support and fiberglass body parts . has anyone tried s-10 spindles and rotors ?

------------------

Old 01-20-2001, 11:39 PM

need to cut some wieght from the front of a 78 ta bracket racer any help on lighter brakes and calipers control arms . already have light steering stripped sheet metal bumpers core support and fiberglass body parts . has anyone tried s-10 spindles and rotors ?

------------------

Old 01-22-2001, 05:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I doubt you will find any spindles that are lighter than stock.

Lighter weight rotor and caliper kits can be had, Wilwood is one manufacturer of them. Their heavy-duty pro-series kit for your car runs $680 and claims to save as much as 35 lbs. of weight. I'd be curious to see what they say about running this setup on the street as far as longevity and repeatability are concerned, but if your car is strictly a bracket racer then it's probably not a concern.

Fatman fabrications makes lightweight tubular control arms. They don't come with vaseline though.

Frankly, wouldn't you be better off spending the grand-plus it will cost to shave maybe 50 lbs. if your lucky through this route on further engine mods to make more power?

-Will

Old 01-22-2001, 08:46 PM

WILL YOUR ADVICE IS MORE THAN LIKLY RIGHT BUT AS AN OLD RODDER MY FAVORITE SPEED SHOP AND PARTS STORES HAVE BEEN SALVAGE YARDS ,SWAP MEETS AND ANYTHING I CAN BORROW, I THINK THAT IF THE BALL JOINTS WILL MATE AND THE SPINDLE LOCATION IS IN THE SAME AREA AS THE TA SPINDLES BOTH HAVE THE STEERING LINKAKE INFRONT OF THE CROSSMEMBER ,BOTH USE THE SAME WHEEL BOLT PATTERN THE S-10 ASSYS ARE A LOT LIGHTER THEN THE TAs I AM LOOKING TO DROP AT LEAST 40 TO 50 LB FOR 50 TO 80 DOLLARS AT THE PICK AND PULL YARDS PROBLEMS THAT COULD ARISE ARE RIDE HIGHT , ALIGNMENT AND ? IT IS SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT

Old 01-24-2001, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

r hammons, well, you didn't say you were considering S-10 stuff in your first post.

That would certainly be cheaper, but how does it save weight? Didn't the S-10s use the same cast-iron calipers as most other GMs? If the spindles are the same height, there can't be a whole lot of weight savings there, has to be some strength to them. What about the rotors? Aren't they a cast-iron 10.5" rotor like most other GM's?

I honestly don't know the answers to these questions, have never compared S-10 stuff to F-body and only recently learned that they were similar. Still, it's hard to imagine how weight would be saved going this route unless the parts are significantly different. Please let me know what you find out, this is very interesting.

Thanks!
-Will

Old 01-24-2001, 09:38 PM

I BELIEVE THE ROTORS ARE ABOUT 5 TO 7 POUNDS LIGHTER THE CALIPERS ARE SMALLER THEN THE TA PATRS ALSO THE ROTORS ARE 1INCH LESS DIAMETER, BY THERE APEARANCE THE SPINDLES LOOK TO BE LIGHTER , I MIGHT LOOSE 30LB OFF THE FRONT SUB FRAME IN TOTAL WIEGHT , THEN SOME ROTATING WIEGHT , SOMETHING TO CONSIDER NEED MORE RESEARCH