Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-03-2005, 02:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to Thunderskull

Okay, I just bolted on a 4bbl Holley 4160 into my car with a stock 4bbl manifold. I have a 1976 Firebird with a Ponitac 350. I do not have any of the emissions equipment hooked up. I was wondering what would be a good stock aircleaner base to use that would attach to my shaker assembly? The stock 2bbl won't fit for anything even with the hole modified and a 1 inch spacer.

Thanks

Robert

Old 07-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't think you can use a stock Qjet Shaker air cleaner base with a Holley without some modifications. The TA shakers all used Qjets (though the 70 RA IV, air cleaner base may have been designed for a Holley, if I remember correctly). Anyway, I think you would need to modify the Holley carb and/or the Qjet Air Cleaner base. You could also attach the shaker to the Hood and just use a regular open element air cleaner for your Holley...though obviously you would lose the shaker affect.
I think the 4160 Holley is a square bore carb, and I assume you are using a cast iron Pontiac 4bbl intake, is that correct ? If this is the case, then, I assume you are using a carb adpater. I would think this could hurt performance a little; it is usually best to run the stock cast iron Pontiac 4bbl with a Qjet.
If you were running a qjet carb it would be much easier to find a qjet base at swap meets /ebay etc.