The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 05-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Senior Chief

Can anyone share some insight on what is an acceptable amount of play in the power steering pump shaft. Mine currenty can be moved in and out about .060 and additionally there is some lateral play in the pulley if you move it grabbing it top and bottom. It does not leak.

Is this normal and if not will a rebuild kit address the play in the shaft? (I know the kits contain seals, o-rings, etc.. but do they include any bearings and bushings)

Old 05-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Senior Chief

Can anyone share some insight on what is an acceptable amount of play in the power steering pump shaft. Mine currenty can be moved in and out about .060 and additionally there is some lateral play in the pulley if you move it grabbing it top and bottom. It does not leak.

Is this normal and if not will a rebuild kit address the play in the shaft? (I know the kits contain seals, o-rings, etc.. but do they include any bearings and bushings)

Old 05-10-2005, 03:49 PM

My new rebuilt pump has the same in and out play. I don't think there should be any noticeable top and bottom play. Wether or not it leaks, there will be some wear in the pump that will increase the force needed to turn the car. I would reccomend a rebuilt pump- they are available at the local part store and are not much more than the rebuild kit. My old pump didn't leak, but it felt like manual steering because of wear.