Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-10-2002, 08:52 PM

having a rich idle problem (fouling plugs)running a 60 over 400 turbo 400 488lift 320 dur cam 750 holley dp have 71/76 jets 8.5 pv in front rear is pluged,, runs very rich at idle . have had carb apart found nothing wrong, when tring to adjust idle the mixture screws have no effect on idle , have drilled holes in all four throttle plates , had very little effect,if and when you get a desent idle , i get a bad stumble off the line, motor is pulling a 10 on the vac guage, have checked the position of the throttle plates seems to be ok?, down the track car runs fine , ran a 11.95 at 111mph with a 1.64 60 ft at darlington sc today temp in the 70s does show a little black smoke off the line all advice greatly appreciated, thanks

Old 03-10-2002, 08:52 PM

having a rich idle problem (fouling plugs)running a 60 over 400 turbo 400 488lift 320 dur cam 750 holley dp have 71/76 jets 8.5 pv in front rear is pluged,, runs very rich at idle . have had carb apart found nothing wrong, when tring to adjust idle the mixture screws have no effect on idle , have drilled holes in all four throttle plates , had very little effect,if and when you get a desent idle , i get a bad stumble off the line, motor is pulling a 10 on the vac guage, have checked the position of the throttle plates seems to be ok?, down the track car runs fine , ran a 11.95 at 111mph with a 1.64 60 ft at darlington sc today temp in the 70s does show a little black smoke off the line all advice greatly appreciated, thanks

Old 03-10-2002, 09:01 PM

I think the power valve you have is too high. I would try a 5.0 or 5.5.from what I understand take the vacuum reading you have and divide it by 2. Then get a power valve that matches that amount. Hope this helps. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 03-10-2002, 09:31 PM
Boost Engineer

r hammons,
Please call me Tom Vaught (e-mail me for number)
I know what is wrong with your carb. I fixed Tim
Cockeran's over the phone, I can fix yours the same way. Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-10-2002, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Skype™ to RPM

Could you also post what the cause/fix is? Thanks

Old 03-12-2002, 07:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Please?

Old 03-17-2002, 11:40 PM

thr problem was that i was solving one problem by creating another problem , i was adjusting the idle screws out to cure a stumble off the line ,this caused the rich idle/plug fouling problem, the cure was to ask for advice (thanks to allfor your advice)listen to what they had to say , which was to adjust the idle then work on the stumble problem which was solved by working with rhe pumps and squirters, THE PROBLEM IS FIXED i have a clean idle, no stumble off the line and clean plugs, now i have a little popping through the exhaust when i am slowing down after a run, not while accelerating, think i might be a tad lean ?

Old 03-18-2002, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Skype™ to RPM

Ok, great! Thanks for posting the fix. Popping on decel could be from air entering the exhaust system and/or rich condition using the engine as a brake.