The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 02-22-2005, 06:16 PM

I have a small problem with my 69 lemans hood alignment,the hood has always sat higher on the rear of the drivers side.It starts in the middle and then winds up about a 1/2 inch high at the back while the passenger side is perfect.I have two hoods and both are kinda beat up but they both sit the same way,Ive tried experementing with them and took of the hinge springs and laid both hoods on with the same results.Whats perplexing to me is the fenders are aligned great,they match the doors great,and when measured side to side and crossways they are perfect.As far as shims there is none at the rear of the fenders that could be raising/lowering one side.Im sorry for the long post but Im lost as everything else is perfect-could I have two identically tweaked hoods?-or are is there something else forcing the hood up?.As I mentioned earlier even just laying the hood on the car it still sits the same way!-I really would appreciate any and all suggestions-its driving me nuts!!!!!!!,thanks.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:16 PM

I have a small problem with my 69 lemans hood alignment,the hood has always sat higher on the rear of the drivers side.It starts in the middle and then winds up about a 1/2 inch high at the back while the passenger side is perfect.I have two hoods and both are kinda beat up but they both sit the same way,Ive tried experementing with them and took of the hinge springs and laid both hoods on with the same results.Whats perplexing to me is the fenders are aligned great,they match the doors great,and when measured side to side and crossways they are perfect.As far as shims there is none at the rear of the fenders that could be raising/lowering one side.Im sorry for the long post but Im lost as everything else is perfect-could I have two identically tweaked hoods?-or are is there something else forcing the hood up?.As I mentioned earlier even just laying the hood on the car it still sits the same way!-I really would appreciate any and all suggestions-its driving me nuts!!!!!!!,thanks.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:20 PM
Senior Chief

Maybe the car is twisted. Too much torque, too much traction?

Old 02-22-2005, 06:26 PM

Where the hinge is bolted to the fender,loosen the bolts slightly and lift the hood a little.this should roll the hinge back. tighten the bolts and check the alignment. You may have to loosen the hood bolts and slide the hood ahead a little to correct the gap at the front.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:33 PM

I appreciate the replys,Brew,the car only runs twelves right now and when I got it it had the original 350 2v in it.Wacko,is that a possibility even if the hood sits high without the springs?.I cant even lightly push it down-but as Im typing Im thinking about it and Im guessing its possible for the front of the hinge to be the force pushing it up?,thanks.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a goo procedure for hood alignment on autobodystore.com

Old 02-23-2005, 03:55 AM

It is possible with the springs off. It also may be that your hinge is worn too bad. also,i would have the springs on when doing this.