Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-15-2003, 10:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok guys, help me out here! I've got a set of 2" primary IA round port headers for my new motor, and I'm trying to decide what to do with them.

My only goal is to keep underhood temperatures down, and keep them from rusting. I don't need the extra 1% HP that Jet-Hot claims their coating gives, and I'm not too concerned with "bling bling".

1. Coat them (Jet-Hot or other). Jet-Hot quoted me $300 and a 2/3 WEEK turnaround, plus I pay shipping. Seems a little excessive.

2. Wrap them. I'd really rather not do this though, as the darned stuff never seems to hold up very long, and I've had it catch on fire in the past.

3. Paint them. What sort of paint would you recommend? I don't want to re-paint them every week. Does anyone make a DIY coating system that doesn't require me to steal my wife's oven?

Also while we're at it, I'd like to do something with the rest of the exhaust system to make it a little easier to clean off the road grime/oil/etc...

Old 05-15-2003, 10:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok guys, help me out here! I've got a set of 2" primary IA round port headers for my new motor, and I'm trying to decide what to do with them.

My only goal is to keep underhood temperatures down, and keep them from rusting. I don't need the extra 1% HP that Jet-Hot claims their coating gives, and I'm not too concerned with "bling bling".

1. Coat them (Jet-Hot or other). Jet-Hot quoted me $300 and a 2/3 WEEK turnaround, plus I pay shipping. Seems a little excessive.

2. Wrap them. I'd really rather not do this though, as the darned stuff never seems to hold up very long, and I've had it catch on fire in the past.

3. Paint them. What sort of paint would you recommend? I don't want to re-paint them every week. Does anyone make a DIY coating system that doesn't require me to steal my wife's oven?

Also while we're at it, I'd like to do something with the rest of the exhaust system to make it a little easier to clean off the road grime/oil/etc...

Old 05-15-2003, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is what Im going to use. For keeping underhood temps down this looks like the way to go. Little less money than youre talking too.

http://www.swaintech.com/race.html

Old 05-16-2003, 04:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

JET-HOT pricing IS excessive.
I and others have used Airborn Coatings with great results. They charge $205 with prompt turn-around. I've had two sets of headers done.
http://www.airborncoatings.com/customer/index3.html

1973 SD455 T/A
1979 S.E. T/A
http://community.webshots.com/album/16587603rOyvmFCiHs

Old 05-16-2003, 06:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

VHT works well. The coating is nice but the price doesn't give you the performance that you would like to see for that type of money being spent. Spend the money on other parts & paint them.

Old 05-16-2003, 07:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Coat them. Every time I have tried painting mine, even with high heat vht, the stuff burns off during break in.

I used RLD when I had my headers coated. I also had my intake done. They charged $250CAN (~150US)for the headers and $120CAN (~80US) for the intake. They did an excellent job.

Old 05-16-2003, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jon - I would coat them, as I have done on both of my cars. You can get them done inside and out at Olympic Coatings in Escondido, therefore no shipping expense. I think it takes about 2 weeks and costs about $200. It makes a big difference in the underhood temperature, and they cool off faster. You can check either of my cars for how they look. I prefer black, whether I am spraying or coating them.

http://www.jimspontiac.homestead.com/Index.html

Old 05-16-2003, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

COAT EM!!!

Ron

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 05-16-2003, 12:34 PM
Senior Chief

I WOULD COAT THEM HAD MINE DONE BY JET HOT THEY LOOK GOOD BUT THEY ARE STARTING RUST IN BETWEEN THE TUBES AT THE COLLETOR ONLY A FEW MONTH OLD

Old 05-16-2003, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had good luck with the Tech Line spray on coating but recently had mine coated by Custom Craft in Midland, AR. I don't know for a fact, but have been told they do all the work for Penske racing. I haven't had it long enought to give a testimonial.

http://home.att.net/~gtoken/customcraft.htm

Old 05-16-2003, 06:17 PM
On Vacation

"What most people do not understand is the physics of aluminum-a polished CerMet material will dull when subjected to extended exposure to EGT's in excess of 1350 degrees F. No exceptions-I don't care what the advertisements say-it's a Law Of Physics!"

B.T. Corneto/BMDJ Distributing (MicroCoat Thermal Barriers)
Drag Racing Action Magazine
May 2003

Causin' pain like two bad nurses.....

Old 05-16-2003, 07:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jim, got a website or phone number for Olympic Coatings?

Old 05-16-2003, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Olympic Coatings
2200 Micro Place
Escondido
760-745-3322

They are close to Nordahl and Mission. I think it is the same street as the Sand Crab Cafe.

http://www.jimspontiac.homestead.com/Index.html

Old 05-16-2003, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey you old fart, I mean old man. There is also a place up here in Riverside called Car Craft. I just called them last week. They do the ceramicoatings too. I think he said $175 for a full length set of headers. And they are starting to do a second coat and bake if you want a super shiny finish that will keep for show cars. I also have a set of Pontiac Boat Headers with the coating that have a little surface rust between the tubes at the collector area. I guess that's a tough area to coat?

Old 05-17-2003, 05:29 AM
On Vacation

Nope, read my first post again..........

Causin' pain like two bad nurses.....

Old 05-17-2003, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Coating is the only way to go. Done the sandblast, paint, heat cure too many times. Always peels off. Chrome headers, too expensive now and one missed fire and the tubes turn blue!

I've had good luck with HPC over the years.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 05-17-2003, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Man skip that blue look is what you want on a nice chrome set of headers. Looks good to me if they are blue about half way down.
Least on a Harley anyhow :P
Mike

Old 05-17-2003, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't forget to weld evac. bungs before coating, with tip of bung 1/2" into collectors. On mine I had to cut off my old header collectors and turn them around, bolt together, then mark and weld bungs so as not to deface the coated headers..I'm having another set of header collectors coated, after welding bungs. Cheaper than recoating entire headers again.

When usure ask. BIGGERISBETTER-15 yrs in NHRA tech ret. Check em out, www.nhra.com. or www.ihra.com www.chasinracin.com

Old 05-17-2003, 06:20 PM
Senior Chief

Jon, I would also recommend coating the headers, not painting. Do it the correct way now and you will be able to enjoy them not working on them .

Rocky, I also used Jet Hot and was very pleased with their finish. If your headers were coated when they were new, call Jet Coat as they warranty their product as a lifetime finish.

Old 05-17-2003, 09:26 PM
Senior Chief

Never enough power IM HAPPY THE WAY THEY LOOK OTHER THAN THE FACT THEY ARE RUSTING WHERE ALL FOUR TUBES COME TOGETHER AT THE COLLETOR.I AM GOING TO PULL THE ENGINE THIS WINTER AND SEND THEM BACK