Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-09-2003, 12:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This has stumped me since the summer when I worked on the car.

The gas gauge in the car worked fine. I was doing a interior swap this summer and that is when I ran into problems. When I pulled the gauge cluster, I noticed someone wired it with some kind of weird configuration. (mickey-moused) It appeared that someone had manufactured a temp fix since they had two wires coming off the back of the fuel gauge. One wire was attached to the power wire for the power windows and the other was grounded somewhere. I pulled it out, swapped the interior and put it back in and it worked. I had another problem and had to remove the gauge cluster again, put it back and now it does not work. I carefully marked all the wires and hooked it back up exactly the way it was but nothing. The Printed Gauge Circuit is real bad on it so I pulled the Gauge Circuit from my 1980 Firebird Esprit (donor car) and put it in; still not working. The fuel gauge on the Esprit had no wires coming from it. Any ideas and/or comments are welcome! Thanks!

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/rpk76/1979.htm" TARGET=_blank>79TA455
</A>

Old 01-09-2003, 12:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This has stumped me since the summer when I worked on the car.

The gas gauge in the car worked fine. I was doing a interior swap this summer and that is when I ran into problems. When I pulled the gauge cluster, I noticed someone wired it with some kind of weird configuration. (mickey-moused) It appeared that someone had manufactured a temp fix since they had two wires coming off the back of the fuel gauge. One wire was attached to the power wire for the power windows and the other was grounded somewhere. I pulled it out, swapped the interior and put it back in and it worked. I had another problem and had to remove the gauge cluster again, put it back and now it does not work. I carefully marked all the wires and hooked it back up exactly the way it was but nothing. The Printed Gauge Circuit is real bad on it so I pulled the Gauge Circuit from my 1980 Firebird Esprit (donor car) and put it in; still not working. The fuel gauge on the Esprit had no wires coming from it. Any ideas and/or comments are welcome! Thanks!

</A>

Old 01-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Senior Chief

The fuel gauge circut is fairly simple..

12v into the gauge.. the other side goes to ground via the sending unit..
the sending unit is a potentiometer the varries the resistance between the gauge and ground.

get a vom and check the voltage on the positive stud of the gauge.. If there's no power there check the circut and the plug..

If it does check out start tracing the ground side..

GURU: One who knows more jargon than you

Scott Schering
70 Firebird 455 12.34 @ 108.2
Http://www.pontiacs.org

Scott Schering
Http://www.pontiacs.org
Old 01-10-2003, 09:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a picture of the back of the gauges. I hope this will help as I am not sure what the wires are for coming from the fuel gauge etc. The two red and balck ones are coming up from under the Printed Guage Circuit and the yellow one is just coming up through the casing and I beleive it too is coming from the fuel guage.

</A>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gauge5.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	23461  

Old 01-10-2003, 09:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is a top pic of the wires coming up from under the Printed Gauge Circuit.

</A>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gauge4.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	4021